Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So I'm puttin' along the other day in my new(to me) '00 'sat 1.8T wagon and it starts spewing a deadly poisionous gas out the A/C vents. (Okay, maybe it's not "deadly" but I wanted to be James Bond for a moment.) I hit the Recirc. button and it goes away. What does that mean? Do I have a leaky heater core? I had this problem on a Volvo I just got rid of and a new heater core fixed it.

Secondly, when I start the car up after it's been sitting overnight, I hear this shop vac/hair dryer type of sound coming from the front passenger side of the engine compartment for probably 1-2mins. Any thoughts on that? I looked at the vacuum hose diagram on the hood and noticed there seems to be a "secondary air pump" near that region. Could that be the source? Does this go bad or something?

Thirdly, where can I find some good instructions on installing a timing belt in my ATW engine? I checked out the Haynes manual at my local AutoZone, but it didn't seem that detailed. I see there's a play-by-play timing belt install in the technical forum here, but is that exactly like my ATW?

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Hey there, welcome! Regarding the A/C - did it have a smell? If not it could just be condensation. My old Toyota did it all the time, never a problem, just odd looking. As for the vacuum noise. I dont know exactly what it is you're reffering too, but I may have the same thing. I just bought an 04 GLS, now at 11k miles. I do hear a few "light" sounds at start up, but I beleive they have to do with either the engine warming up or the emissions control system. It doesnt strike me as being something to worry about.

·
Registered
369 Posts
B4B5 said:
it starts spewing a deadly poisionous gas out the A/C vents. (Okay, maybe it's not "deadly" but I wanted to be James Bond for a moment.) I hit the Recirc. button and it goes away.

Secondly, when I start the car up after it's been sitting overnight, I hear this shop vac/hair dryer type of sound coming from the front passenger side of the engine compartment for probably 1-2mins.

Thirdly, where can I find some good instructions on installing a timing belt in my ATW engine?
1. Probably just condensation as stated above
2. Secondary air blower in front grill, mine =LOUD, scares people ;p
3. Info thread at the top of the garage forum.
Welcome B4B5
~les

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So...

Is this loud air pump a problem? (BTW, it is really quite loud, "shop vac loud" for a good minute or two.) Surely this can't be normal or stock. Is it going to blow up or destroy itself sometime soon? Can I easily replace this with a newer unit from a junkyard car?

Same for the mist through the vents. It isn't normal and I'd like to fix it as the mist volume doesn't dissipate and instead just gets worse the longer I keep it running without pressing the recirc button. Where is the condensation coming from?

I found timing belt directions. One of them suggests replacing the vacuum lines and "DV" while I'm down there. What's the "DV"?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Seeing this post, it seems the mist is just water vapor condensing. Richmond is one of the most humid cities on the east coast, and when you suck hot, moist air into a cool place, visible vapor droplets will form.

DV= diverter valve, it is black and it is near the bottom of the engine on the passenger side. Follow the vacuum line from the intake plenum to it. Got a lot of miles, I suggest you find a used Forge 007 and send for a rebuild kit from Forge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts