Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gotten around to fixing my 2000 1.8T Passat GLS. Right now it's very dirty inside and I mean DIRTY.

I am debating as to whether to have it professionally detailed or to do it myself?

What would a pro set me back, generally?

If the pro is too $$$, how should I detail my car? Tips? Tricks? Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Well for cloth interior. I had lots of greece and dirt on my head liner from doing engine work then pushing my car back into its resting place. I used some warm water with a little bit of washing diturgent (sp?) and also used a couple sprays of pre-wash stain remover. The key is not too much soap because it will leave a residue. Goodluck

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Hyped,

as far as im concerned, cleaning a car just takes a little elbow grease, and the proper tools.

For interior dirt, on cloth, use Tough Stuff
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/chas-195-6.html
^Available at any Pep-boys.

I use Armor All, on my dash, and all other plastics.

ect....

Honestly if your working at it, it may take 6-8 hours to really clean a car (im talking detailing the engine bay, inside and our of the car, trunk ect.. everything.

But for me its very enjoyable, and I know I can do a better job then the local detailing shop, and save my self a ton of money

-Nick

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Armor-All :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
And the problem with Armor-All is???

I have tried alot of different "dash protectants" with various degrees of sucess.

Armor-All does the job just fine. Leaves the dash clean, which just the right amount of shine (I don't like it to be too shiny) And protects against fading, cracking, UV ect...

My point is that its inexpensive, and does a fine job, for my needs.

-Nick

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
The silicone will eventually fade the dash into brownish color and harden the plastic which then have tendency to crack. Armor All also states that it was developed as protection from ozone and UV rays, but nowhere it says that AA contains UV protectant. :wink:

I personally use Meguiars #40 which does not have any silicone, and does not leave oily film. After 5 years in UV rich Colorado my dash is the same as it was wheen brand new.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Boris said:
The silicone will eventually fade the dash into brownish color and harden the plastic which then have tendency to crack. Armor All also states that it was developed as protection from ozone and UV rays, but nowhere it says that AA contains UV protectant. :wink:

I personally use Meguiars #40 which does not have any silicone, and does not leave oily film. After 5 years in UV rich Colorado my dash is the same as it was wheen brand new.

I agree with Boris. 'Meguiars V&R' is what I use too :thumbup:

Also Meguiars 'Final Inspection' is great for in between waxes for touch-ups :bow:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.