Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any primers/DIY sites that can help me get through the install of a Blaupunkt Miami unit into a non Monsoon 99 Passat? I currently have the stock tape unit. Any advice in general?

Any help at all would be useful here. I am good with hammers and saws but electrical makes me nervous. Never done any mobile audio work. Soundomain is supplying the harness and antenna adaptor. I have heard there may be advantages to not using the Metra style harness in favor of direct connections (tee-ing in?)- true? Worth considering? Too much for a newbie?

Thanks in advance! :bow: :bow: :bow:

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
I had a Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD51 and it was literally plug and play. The only hitch was that I neede to swap the constant and switched 12v lines so it would turn on and off with the ignition.

Other than that it's pull out old radio, plug in new radio, done.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips guys. :D

Joker- how do i isolate the K-wire? Do you mean to just leave it unconnected because ther is no diagnostic w/ a Blaupunkt?

Quality- Isn't there a new bracket or something to install?

I won't receive the new HU for a couple weeks but I'm really looking forward to the DIY part.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
You don't have to worry about the k-wire with a Blaupunkt, that lead is not connected to anything on the radio. It's unused. There isn't a bracket, just a thin metal sleve that you press fit in and the radio locks into that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You don't have to worry about the k-wire with a Blaupunkt, that lead is not connected to anything on the radio. It's unused. There isn't a bracket, just a thin metal sleve that you press fit in and the radio locks into that.
Wow- glad I wound up with a Blaupunkt. :) Do they design with VW in mind? Their illumination is supposed to be a spot on match.

So I just use the harness amnd antenna adaptors as is? Then slide the new HU into the sleeve? I know I'm being over analytical (or worried) but since I have your attention, thought I would ask.

·
Registered
679 Posts
96cali said:
So I just use the harness amnd antenna adaptors as is? Then slide the new HU into the sleeve? I know I'm being over analytical (or worried) but since I have your attention, thought I would ask.
You'll need a powered antenna adapter for your antenna or your AM will be non-existant and FM will be poor. But as eveyone has said above, you don't need any additional harness for the radio. The brown speaker connector is plug-n-play and the black power connector just needs the two wires switched. Here's a thread from almost two years ago that I explained in detail how to switch the wires (it's about one third of the way down):

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29412

HTH

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: I installed the Blaupunkt Miami today. I ignored the K wire and used the Scosche harness supplied (very tight with all those wires). I did not use the antenna adaptor as it did not fit, but the stock antenna plug fit right on. I'll test it out to see if am/fm reception is suspect. For right now though I'm happy as this is my first install of anything this nature. 8)

A follow up question:
The harness supplied had 2 brown wires that had no match on the Blau harness. What could they be? Sorry I did not note their location.

BTW I found this page on a UK site pointing out that the Blaupunkt designs for VW/Audi interiors. They also offer the Miami with an in-dash 6 cd changer for you double din folks.

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/vw.asp

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
quality_sound
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing