Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first off I want to say that I am new to this forum and hope you fellow Passaters can help a Newbie out before I get screwed by the 5 surrounding Dealerships around me (all within 25 mile radius). I have narrowed down to two different color for my GLX purchase. Either I will purchase the Black or SilverStone color. Gotta love Black, Black is Black period. Althought the SilverStone does have it's uniqueness... It's a different color, very attractive also. As far as the interior goes, I wanted black but they don't offer that color choice no more so Anthracite will do just fine. First question, on the GLX models, is "Leather" standard on all cars or is it "Leatherette" that is standard on all GLXs. The reason why I ask is because when you use www.vw.com, when you build your own GLS model it gives you the option of either Velour seats or "Leatherette" seating surfaces. Now when you build your own GLX model, it only gives you the option of "Leather" seating surfaces color option. So which one is it that comes standard, Leather or Leatherette for GLXs??? My other question is I have done a lot of homework on purchasing vehicles, and heard a lot of horror stories about ordering cars that aren't in stock. Should I order the car if it isn't in stock or am I better off picking up what is on the lot. I appreciate any help and advice on this subject. Sorry if this is a repeat topic, like I said I'm a newbie here and just don't want to be played by at the dealership. By the way, what do you guys prefer? Black or SilverStone? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
If I were you I would get the GLS instead with the 1.8T motor and Manual trans. The V6 is no where near as tunable as the 1.8T. GLS with leather ESP loaded then get a APR chip and have 45 more HP :)
GLX to my knowledge only comes in leather. As far as odering a vehicle I have waited over 3 months once and 2 months the second time and it sucks. I was lucky this time the dealer allocated the vehicle from another dealer :)
As far as color Black or Silverstone I have owned Black vehicles and it is my favorite color but I know what it takes to keep it nice. Im just to Anal to own black. So how much time do you have to clean & polish :???:
Silverstone for me :D

·
Registered
778 Posts
1. Yes, the leather package is standard on the GLX model line.

2. I do not have a definitive answer but I suspect that you might me able to negotiate a better price for a car that the dealer already has in stock as opposed to a car that is ordered. The dealer will want to turn over its inventory so it has has a greater incentive to sell what it already has. Also, regarding the "not in stock option", would the dealer obtain the car you want from another dealer (i.e., trade for the car), or would the car be ordered from Germany? What kind of horror stories have you heard about not in stock cars?

3. Black vs. Silverstone. Its simply a matter of which you prefer. I think you will find pleanty of forum members with one or the other of those colors. They are both very nice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still can't decide on color option. Still don't know if I want Silverstone Grey or Black Black. I have gone to the dealership, driven both cars, looked at both cars sitting next to each other, and blah blah blah. If it's not too much trouble, would any owners of the Black and Silverstone passats post their cars so that I could look at them from different people's comestics, rim options, and things like that. Maybe looking at them with different options may help. Thanks!

·
Registered
381 Posts
GLX seating surfaces are leather. That includes the parts of the seat you sit on and your back rests on.. the other parts of the seat are leatherette. There is also leather in the door panels (above the armrest) and the steering wheel and emergency brake are leather wrapped.
As far as color... I've had black and it's great if you can wash and polish every week. My current Passat is Pacific Blue, but I would rather have had the Siverstone Gray - doesn't show dirt as much and it's a nice classy color.
If the dealers don't have a car just like you want, you may have to order (or have the dealer find it). They will traditionally make the best deals out of their inventory, but not always. I had a Mercedes dealer offer the best deal on a car they would have to "go and get" - better than what they had in stock... you never know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Beavis
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing