Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing to book a trip to New York at the last minute and need to know some info. ISLIP airport to downtown - is the LIRR the best bet? Or should I rent a car. How long a trip is the LIRR from ISLIP to Penn Station? Also, is the LIRR mostly on time? I am surprising my Wife and I am trying to get this figured out while flying under her radar.

:wink:

Any other info about hotels in the around Central Park South or Midtown would also be great.

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
Not sure about renting a car, but I think it would be pretty expensive. Also, you need to pay for parking it and I doubt you will need a car once you are in the city. You can go anywhere in Manhattan with public transportation and taxi.

Islip is about an hour drive to the city (with average traffic). The LIRR is probably your best bet. Just take a cab to the train station, buy your tickets, and get on the train. It drops you off at Penn Station. From there, you can grab a cab to your hotel or take the subway.

When are you arriving? For how long?

http://mta.info/lirr/html/ttn/islip.htm

http://dir.travelzoo.com/Lodging.asp?intCategory=23

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plan is to fly in on March 29th early and fly back out on the 31st at around 8PM. We are going to a taping of the Regis/Kelly show which has been something my Wife has been asking for the last year or so. I am surprising her tonight.

:)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
hoypinoy1234 said:
http://www.eleisurelink.com/specialAds/PENNSYLVANIA%20HOTEL179.asp

Hotel Pennsylvania for $89 per night. It's right beside Penn Station, so you don't have to lug your baggage too far. It's close to the subway, Madison Sq. Garden, Empire State Bldg., Macy's, Herald Sq., lots and lots of shopping too.
Pennsylvania is cheap and its location is fantastic but beware, this price is for their unrenovated rooms. Some of them are somewhat clean (very small and old though), some of them are just horrible. I've stayed at this hotel quite a few times (my company has an office next door). I would never take my wife there.

Forget the rental car, you'll save a lot of trouble and money. Get a nice hotel instead. :)

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
waGner said:
I would never take my wife there.

Forget the rental car, you'll save a lot of trouble and money. Get a nice hotel instead. :)
My thoughts exactly. I got stranded in the city a number of years ago & stayed at this hotel (all my friends lived downtown & it was impossible to get down there). Its ok when you're by yourself. Not a place for a romantic interlude. I'd spring the extra bucks for a better hotel.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Another thing you can look at is flying into Westchester Airport, driving you can be in midtown in 35-40 min from there. Or I think there is a shuttle to the train station, 35 min. to Grand Central

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
hoypinoy1234 said:
:oops: Sorry to steer him in the wrong direction. just remembered in the book of The Godfather, Micheal and Kay used to stay there when they spent the night in the city. I figured it was a good place.

Check out the Westin at Times Sq. http://dir.travelzoo.com/Lodging.asp?intCategory=23&id=141441

$159 per night.
The Westin is nice, designed by Arquitectonica. There is also the Sheraton in the 50's and 7th I believe. There's a whole bunch - depending on what you want there are some really small hotels too around Central Park.

·
Registered
479 Posts
RL331 said:
You can wait - get them at the ticket machines. They won't sell out - they run every half hour or so from there.
Make sure you buy them at the machine or at the station. If you buy them from the conductor on the train there is a penalty charge of $2 or $3 per ticket.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Oh yeah that's right, there's a $2.00 surcharge for buying on board but if you arrive within a minute of the train then it's worth it otherwise get them at the machine - they even accept dollar coins :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts