Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I got my 18" Wasps from Edge Racing today, they came packaged very well They are really well made, Oscar is real good to deal with (ext 210) the rim and tire weighs 46lbs(falken ziex 512 225/40/18)

I can't belive how inexpensive this setup runs through them! Definitley a great deal...now........

I have one issue though. :???:

1 wheel required 4oz of weights to balance, it is along strip of 1/4 ounce stick ons, all the others were under 1.5 ounce. I know they RoadForce balance, but I was wondering isn't this a sign of a bad tire or wheel? Would you keep this one or need a replacement?

They did mount the tires right with the "heavy dot" opposite the valve stem and all else is great.

I need your thoughts asap on what I should do, I can post pics if it helps....

Thanks,

TJ :suspicio: :suspicio:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a reversed color pic to show the weights, In color it gets lost, see the strip of them in the top right curving down! It is a lot!

By the way, the Falken Ziex 512s are killer!! They actually ride better than my stock MXV4s on the steelies, no BS!

I am real psyched, heres a full shot of the car..it's raining so I did not want
the digi cam outside too long, better pics to follow.

before:

after:

Is this OK...I mean all the rest of the rims use much less weights..

Tell me....

TJ

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
That seems like a bit much balance for a rim, but then how much did that package cost you...? I think the more you spend on rims the better quality on the manafacturing line will be, more consistancy from wheel to wheel.

On another note, those wheels look great :eek: , could you post a better full side shot so we can see the whole car? And what type lower front end do you have? It's a little dark in the pic so I can't make out the whole shape. But all and all--- LOOKING GOOD! :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spent 1100.00 to my door. I would think it would have to be the tire, the rims are all from the same casting lot, I checked.

I have a Caractre front, thanks for the good words! You hae to see these wheels in person, worth every penny and as far as manufacturing goes the look top notch. Pics do them NO justice.....

I have read the ziex 512s have had a few problems with tires so I suspect it is that, but I called a few places and they said as long as it is not vibrating then not to worry about it too much.

I can't stop peeking out the window, I am a loser :wink:

here's another shot, the camera wasn't digging the humidity and the shots were blurry

i will take some nice one later in the week...

TJ

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rim and tire currently weighs 46.00 lbs on the bathroom scale,
So there is 1 strip of 16 1/4 ounce weights inside the face of the rim and 2 more 1/4 ounce guys opposing the strip on the inner part

Total is 4.5 ounces So by that standard you gave is seems damn close!

Clay,
What concerns would you have if it was more than 1%, balancing issues as the tread wears etc?

thanks,
TJ

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I believe that would be the main concern. Also just the fact that the more tape on weights there are, the better the chance that one can come off and cause a shake in the wheel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
woody1981
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing