Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
voila'

question...should i lose the flaps? we've already decided no center caps...

and one of everybody...totals: an r32, corrado, a cabriolet....vr6 jetta, 1.8t jetta, G60 MK2 GTI, MK3 vr6 jetta, audi TT, 2.0conversion mk2, a 400whp big turbo gti, you can't see the scirroco in the garage..(supercharged)....and the passat :)

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Looks good!!

From my memory of others with flaps...

Given the drop, you'll probably loose them whether you want to or not :D

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
nah, it's more like a slow grinding. i had them on my 99 and I was only on Eibachs and I lost probably half of them over time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice group of friends you have.

Hey, if you do discard your flaps, I'll take them! However, looking at your clan there, I think they might be spoken for.

I wish I had a group of VW fans in my area......

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the comments... what's the going rate for flaps + shipping? i'm pretty sure they are coming off....

move to the kc area...there are tons more people....this is just about half of the whole main group

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hell yah, remove those flaps so tha haters can get a better look at your treads-
i don't know why...but you just made me LOL....

thanks again for the comments guys... i'll try to put the caps on sometime this week and take a pic for comparison's sake....

·
Registered
503 Posts
I removed the rear flaps b/c they scraped so often, but I kept the fronts on. I hear them scraping sometimes when cresting sharp speed bumps, but not too often. They really help keep the sides of the car clean. FWIW, I'm dropped about 2".

By the way, nice lookin' ride!

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I had a drop like that .. I never ran them in the summer .. just the winter ... you will also find they rub on the paint and you might have some marring there to deal with when you take them off. If you put them back on for winter .. put a strip of black electrical over the area where they rub to prevent more marring ... good tape will just peel right off in the spring.

As for the center caps ... INHO the wheels just don't look finished without them .. its called .. "details" .. if you don't like the logo on the caps that came with them get some VW emblems to replace them.... ussually the emblem is a peel off.

Example .. I bought these off e-bay for like $12 /set ( center emblems )

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Just because everyone has said take them off, I say keep them on!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol mycarsavw

don't take offense but,
this isn't my first rodeo either jezztn....the details comment came off as a little preachy...

i can see covering up the very center with an emblem if i can find something that fits...the smooth part that covers the nut to get the hub off (wild guess if that's what's behind there but its there on all my other vw's) I guess i just like the "raw" look compared to the pre-modd'ed stock center caps on the ronal r-39s.

for your viewing pleasure...pics with centers on still to come...just have to get home before dark :( so it will be friday when i work from home....but til then enjoy these fine examples of german and mexican manufacturing:

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Flaps aren't really necessary on a lowered car. Rain gets flung off the treads by two forces: centrifugal force and wind.

The rain that isn't stuck to the tread very well gets flung off by centrifugal force almost as soon as it touches the tread, so it stays very close to the road surface.

The rain that is stuck to the tread well enough to resist the centrifugal force gets blown off by wind as the wheel rotates and the rain gets carried up to the top of the wheel, where the wind is twice as fast as it is anywhere else on the car.

Cars that kick up a lot of mist on rainy days do so because the tops of the wheels aren't adequately shielded from the wind. By lowering your car, you've increased the wheels' wind-shielding, and so your car will kick up much less mist than (for example) a Lincoln Navigator, flaps or no flaps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts