Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home the other day after changing my oil without issues. I noticed once I slowed down coming off highway that my car did a minor clunk and all lights lit up on P-2 indicator. I noticed it would take off sluggish but would only stay in basically one gear, which I assumed is limp mode. Got my vehicle home and ran auto scan and gave p0716 and p0734 code.

My 2005 Passat 1.8t has appr. 169,000 miles and every since I owned it nearly for 6 years never had issues with this. Could it be that filter and fluids in tranny could have never been changed and that me possibly running low on fluids would cause these codes and issues?

I zeroed codes, turned car back on, shifted to through gears without issues, but once put into drive had minor clunking again with indicator lights lit back up again when I slowly pulled off and the same driving as stated in the beginning. I pulled into gas station and turned off vehicle. Came back out turned on and would not go into reverse. No lights lit up yet. Got some people to push me back out of parking slot and once I put it into drive and gave some gas, clunking with lights again. However after this happened I was able to go in reverse again. Pulled in to pick up something and didn't turn car off and was able to back out without problems even though it still had indicator lights lit up and sluggish limp mode driving home.

My thoughts was to raise up vehicle and input some Pentosin ATF in the fill plug to see if that resolves my issues in a day or 2, but would appreciate any advice, similar stories, or possible issues. Thanks community in advance!

·
Registered
28,240 Posts
Are you certain you drained the oil from the oil pan and not the trans? It happens quite often.
And did you check the oil level in the engine? Too much will damage the cat.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you certain you drained the oil from the oil pan and not the trans? It happens quite often.
And did you check the oil level in the engine? Too much will damage the cat.
I'm absolutely positive I did it from correct bolt as I've changed the oil multiple times without issues.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If you're absolutely sure that you only changed the oil and everything was fine before - is it possible you spilled some oil on the trans multi-switch or some other electrical connection to the trans or engine (eg ESS) ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just took to Jiffy Lube to see if it needed top off. When removing fill plug appr. 1 quart of dirty trans fluid came out and they put plug back in. I know that it should have been cool when removing that plug. Does that seem normal if removed while fluid is still hot? I will change fluid, filter and gasket. The person there told me that those codes most likely could be due to a gear sensor failure and that is likely culprit of "limp mode". Does this seem reasonable?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're absolutely sure that you only changed the oil and everything was fine before - is it possible you spilled some oil on the trans multi-switch or some other electrical connection to the trans or engine (eg ESS) ?
See number 5 post please.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,226 Posts
Now you are one quart low and you should not drive it. NEVER take your car to Jiffy Screwed and never take their advice. You need to remove the fill plug while running to check level. Once the engine is shut off, the excess fluid that was circulating, now runs back into the pan and will run out the drain/fill hole. Same when filling, engine must be running.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I know that it should have been cool when removing that plug.
Uh, that would be wrong.
The engine MUST be running and the transmission oil MUST be up to temp when topping off or filling to proper level.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Uh, that would be wrong.
The engine MUST be running and the transmission oil MUST be up to temp when topping off or filling to proper level.
Gotcha, but that wouldn't be the issue with the 2 codes right?

P0716 – Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Range

P0734: Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio
I've read that dirty or low trans fluid could result in throwing p0734 code. Would then that cause the p0716 code to be thrown as well or am I not in the right thinking of resolution?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I suggest a couple of things before you drive any more, no more driving , get filter ,gasket and Pentosin 5-7 quarts and do a tranny service. While waiting for parts pull pass. carpet (front) and check for water ingress, and 88 point cable and pillar connections all from or at the TCM, clean and look for corrosion, they will get surface corrosion just from general dampness wear and tear (twenty year old car) . Electronic/corrosion cleaner. Whether it is tranny itself or not it, with the mileage the tranny will appreciate it. Now when you do the tranny service there are two connectors one hanging out in the "wind" susceptible to road rash, from the multi-function switch and the other twist lock 16 point cable connector at the front of the tranny. I suspect one of two issues with the mileage, low on fluid ,like when you come off highway and what little fluid that was in there crept from momentum to one side, and or water ingress, IIRC reverse is an indicator/trade mark of low fluid and or water ingress. Tranny service PER VW protocol only, not hard you must however follow exactly, temperature not that critical in the steps just as long as above 120f. Not knowing where you are from a common leak point on the 1.8s is where the tranny coolant lines traverse below the radiator, a rust collection point and leak especially when driving as then the hot tranny fluid is making its way to the top passenger side of the radiator. Over a period of a year or so a drop here, there weeping adds up.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
re-read first post "driving home after changing my oil", I assume by your additional/following posts that you did the oil change yourself as well this time.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Since you had symptoms of low fluid before, and now for certain after the Jiffy Lube incident, do not attempt to drive that car until ATF is fully drained, then correctly refilled. A filter change would be even better. When the filter sucks in air instead of fluid, the engaged clutches or brakes will slip, and quickly overheat, glaze, and wear out.

I would use an inexpensive ATF instead of Pentosin, because you don't really know what's going on until after the refill. My choice for years has been Valvoline Maxlife ATF. My '05 A4 has that fluid, and is at 250K miles - shifts like new.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I suggest a couple of things before you drive any more, no more driving , get filter ,gasket and Pentosin 5-7 quarts and do a tranny service. While waiting for parts pull pass. carpet (front) and check for water ingress, and 88 point cable and pillar connections all from or at the TCM, clean and look for corrosion, they will get surface corrosion just from general dampness wear and tear (twenty year old car) . Electronic/corrosion cleaner. Whether it is tranny itself or not it, with the mileage the tranny will appreciate it. Now when you do the tranny service there are two connectors one hanging out in the "wind" susceptible to road rash, from the multi-function switch and the other twist lock 16 point cable connector at the front of the tranny. I suspect one of two issues with the mileage, low on fluid ,like when you come off highway and what little fluid that was in there crept from momentum to one side, and or water ingress, IIRC reverse is an indicator/trade mark of low fluid and or water ingress. Tranny service PER VW protocol only, not hard you must however follow exactly, temperature not that critical in the steps just as long as above 120f. Not knowing where you are from a common leak point on the 1.8s is where the tranny coolant lines traverse below the radiator, a rust collection point and leak especially when driving as then the hot tranny fluid is making its way to the top passenger side of the radiator. Over a period of a year or so a drop here, there weeping adds up.

I was going to order this kit, but it doesn't have the filter seal in kit from my observation. I will order that separately from VWparts. Here are what I'm looking at. Think this is best option?

Also, this wouldn't have anything to do with the Transmission Range sensor correct?

If you could, can you please post pics of areas to check specifically. I'm a novice on disability and am trying to save as much effort, money, and missteps as possible. I want to make sure I'm looking at the right things. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

When checking ATF level.
1. Car must be level.
2. Engine must be running.
3. ATF temp should be 35-45° C. (95-113° F)
4. Fill plug must be installed before switching the engine off.

ATF & Filter change. taligentx.com: Passat - ATF & Filter Replacement
I'm going to use 4 2 ton jack stands when I jack up the car. Where is the best place to place jack stands?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A hot trans will drop about 1L over a 95 degree one. If they did it while not running, you were already 2L low and that would cause all of the problems you've had (plus you are 3L low now).
Makes sense. They didn't know the engine had to be running when checking it and neither did I. I was so confused when it just came out. I know after changing out everything, do initial refill with car off until fluid starts to come out, turn car on and let run until up to temp and then continue filling. I found this video on youtube. Should I follow this pretty much to a T? Thanks for help!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since you had symptoms of low fluid before, and now for certain after the Jiffy Lube incident, do not attempt to drive that car until ATF is fully drained, then correctly refilled. A filter change would be even better. When the filter sucks in air instead of fluid, the engaged clutches or brakes will slip, and quickly overheat, glaze, and wear out.

I would use an inexpensive ATF instead of Pentosin, because you don't really know what's going on until after the refill. My choice for years has been Valvoline Maxlife ATF. My '05 A4 has that fluid, and is at 250K miles - shifts like new.
Are you suggesting the other ATF fluids because if I do complete trans filter change and refill that I still possibly may have something else going on and that way I'm not just wasting money?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Pentosin is much more expensive than Valvoline MaxLife. You can use either one but many people (myself included) find the Valvoline works just as well for much less money. It's possible (not likely IMO) that the transmission was permanently damaged by driving it while it was low on fluid so that is the rationale for using the less costly fluid.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pentosin is much more expensive than Valvoline MaxLife. You can use either one but many people (myself included) find the Valvoline works just as well for much less money. It's possible (not likely IMO) that the transmission was permanently damaged by driving it while it was low on fluid so that is the rationale for using the less costly fluid.
This is what you used correct? Is 7 Liters/quarts plenty to refill once pan is dropped?

I noticed also that this doesn't fit for my 05 passat because I see number for this fluid is G-052-162-a1 and I know that my car takes G-052-162-a2. You say that it shouldn't be an issue correct?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts