Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I live on the east coast of Canada. I purchased a 2009 Passat 2.0T with 113,000km on it a month ago from a local VW dealer. Car seemed to be in great shape, I was told it was locally purchased and dealer maintained since day 1. Original driver was a serious VW guy and traded it in when he decided to get a new diesel. There's no warranty on the car and its not VW 'certified' because of it's age.

My fiancée experienced a loss of power while driving in the city this past weekend. No warning lights came on, the car simply shut down coming out of a turn, as she was accelerating. This in turn happened to me as well, yesterday - twice.

Took the car to the VW dealer, they ran a diagnostic, it pointed towards 3 issues. HPFP, Pressure sensor, and cam follower all need to be replaced. $1200 worth of repairs. The work is being done this week, and I'm hoping they don't find anything else too. I've read some horror stories of HPFP failing and sending tiny metal shards throughout the whole fuel system, essentially ending the life of the car.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? Seems to be fairly common failures in the 2.0T engines from Audi and VW, from the small amount of research I've done on the topic. If anyone has had these parts replaced; how much longer can I expect to drive it before another problem with the fuel system arises?

Any input is appreciated.

Babin

·
Registered
374 Posts
You are correct; the cam follower is a serious issue with the 2.0T FSI -- so much in fact that VW has an extended warranty of up to 120,000 miles due to cam follower related failures. It's an easy DIY and most 2.0T FSI owners replace it every other oil change (or every oil change if they're paranoid).

Similarly, the HPFP is, like the cam follower, a weak point of the engine as well.

The only other notable issue with the FSI motors is the intake valves gum up with carbon. Some people pull off the intake manifold and clean it, other's just run a seafoam (or similar) treatment every once in awhile. With the amount of km's your Passat has, I would consider adding some seafoam to your gas on your next fill up. Running the highest octane fuel available in your area helps as well.

And on the topic of carbon build up, I would do an inspection of your PCV system. Plugged up PCV hoses can also hurt performance and affect fuel mileage. There are plenty of "refresh" kits available with upgraded components that will outlive your vehicle. Additionally, there are "catch can" kits available that collect oil into a can that has to be occasionally emptied. The benefit of this is that oil vapors that exit your crankcase isn't recirculated into your intake system (causing the carbon build up and decreasing the cooling ability of your intercooler).

All-in-all the 2.0T isn't a bad platform--it just requires more attention to detail than most. After this ordeal you shouldn't have any further issues. Your next big maintenance item is probably your timing belt and water pump, which is normally replaced every 75000 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you kindly for the quick response. I will certainly begin with some preventative maintenance once I get the car back from the dealership. Thank you for the heads up regarding the timing belt and water pump. I will get those replaced soon too.

Will update once I get the car back on the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE:

Got the car back from the dealership, the next day it dies again. I take it back, they ran diagnostics.... low pressure fuel pump this time, bringing my total repairs to 1800 (after purchasing the car for 11,000 2 months ago). Got it back, literally 2 hours later it dies again, car shakes, and it smells of gas fumes. Took the car back in for the THIRD time... the high pressure fuel pump is showing an error code (which they initially replaced a week prior). Waiting on their conclusion again now.

I have been through 3 rental cars, tons of stress, and virtually nothing positive has come of my experience with VW.

I STRONGLY urge everyone and anyone to NOT purchase a VW Passat.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,195 Posts
Looks like you are just having some bad luck with yours and a seemingly incompetent dealer. No need to paint with a wide brush.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've dealt with two incompetent dealers, where I purchased it, and where I service it (two different cities, 160km apart). The service team won't cut me any breaks because I didn't purchase it from their dealership. The service team at the dealership where I purchased it told me, and I quote "the other service team screwed you over because we always maintained it properly here. If you had of brought it to us in the first place, we would of fixed it right the first time." Very unprofessional in my opinion considering they both represent VW as a whole and are both placing blame on each other, instead of collaborating to help me.

Yes it may just be my vehicle, and yes I have heard many stories about VWs lasting a lifetime. However, I have heard tons of horror stories as well. I just want to share my personal experience with VW, specifically the Passat.

Based on my personal experience, I wouldn't recommend the brand to anyone, at least in my area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well my initial post was actually inquiring about my initial fuel system problems, and preventative maintenance measures.

I'm simply following up with updates as my VW experience continues. Sorry if I am hurting anyone's feelings while doing so.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Not at all.

We get drive-bys here from time to time with people coming here to bitch about whatever bad experience they had with their VWs.

Though VW may not be the most reliable car in the world, it certainly is no worse than the rest of the market.

You are experiencing something a bit out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a 05 vw passat gls tdi three years ago next month. The first year it was great, then the second year it needed a waterpump, timing chain, and something that I do not recall totaled up to 1500$. Last November it was leaking a bit of water from cooling system and I took it to a shop and after taking head off and sending it to be repaired (because it was cracked somehow) the mechanic has taken the car apart and put it back together five times and it still will not run. It has been in the shop for seven months. In November the shop was estimating 1800$ for the repairs, and that was before they have spent over five months trying to get it to run. It was running great when I took it in though. So I have been down a car for 7 months, and paid 400 in insurance on it to be sitting in a shop so far. I am actually clueless about what I should do about the car at the moment. In my opinion the shop messed the car up and I should be compensated for it, but I dont know how to approach this, and as I said it ran great when I took it in. Just has the repair bills of a much more expensive car than what it is. Seems like we both have a dud.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
Very unprofessional in my opinion considering they both represent VW as a whole and are both placing blame on each other, instead of collaborating to help me.
Unfortunately, that seems to be the way many businesses handle things now days. Redirect blame to avoid responsibility. Plausibly deny culpability. Shun a customer to save yourself exposure. Times get tight and people get ruthless. This is especially true for commission based workers. When the choice becomes lie to make a sale or not make rent, the motivation to lie is strong.

end rant

·
Registered
4 Posts
Steve, thanks for the input. I have a thread on this, but it was not getting any replies. I wondered if this was the route I needed to start to pursue... VW when working right are fantastic cars though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OP, if VW extended the warranty on the cam follower why are you paying for it?
I wouldn't.

As for those extensive problems, I would have directly gone to the dealer where I purchased the vehicle and spoken to the owner and/or sales manager.
But you didn't. You took your purchased used VW to a VW dealer. At that point it's a used car if there is no warranty or extended warranty or recall, etc..., and you could have taken it to any auto shop that does foreign cars.
Taking a used car to the manufacturers repair center will result in the highest possible repair bill, and there isn't any greater guarantee that the work will be performed any better compared to any qualified and certified auto tech.
The mechanics/techs that work at dealership shops can be as good or as bad as any other mechanic/tech. Most go to the same schools to be trained. What you might get at a brand specific repair center is an experienced tech who has had extensive training on those particular vehicles. But when you take a car in to be repaired you have no idea if the tech assigned to your car is experienced or well trained. You roll the dice and take your changes.

Still, I would have gone to the selling dealer right off the bat.
I hope things work out for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts