Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here what going on. 2 things frist one is there does this wire go it on the driver side near the rad.

2nd problem is I swap my 1.8t with the same motor. It starts and dies after 1sec. What am I missing the motor ran from the donor car. I have a 2004 VW Passat 1.8t standard

Attachments

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
cluster is the part that has the speedometer, etc. It has a ID in it that must match the ID in the ECM.

When the immobilizer is tripped, I think it shows a key symbol in the cluster and the little red display says something like 'immobilizer activated'. If you don't see any of that it probably isn't an immobilizer problem.

Did you keep the original ECM or use the one from the new engine?

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
Ok here what going on. 2 things frist one is there does this wire go it on the driver side near the rad.
That wire / sensor is the ambient air temperature sensor. It should snap into a small ring on the power steering cooler tube. If that's broken off (many are) just secure the temperature sensor so the wires don't break or the sensor get caught on some road debris.

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
2nd problem is I swap my 1.8t with the same motor. It starts and dies after 1sec. What am I missing the motor ran from the donor car. I have a 2004 VW Passat 1.8t standard
Agreed, sounds like an immobilizer issue.
Retrieve and record ALL of the coding out of the the ECUs beforehand so you can code either one to suite your needs.

Not a 1.8 but a V6...
I swapped a B5 AHA code V6 into my wife's car that was originally an B5.5 ATQ.
I kept the original ECU to the car and just recoded it to accommodate the auto transmission as the AHA was originally paired to a manual trans.

Depending on the type of swap going on, that will determine how and what ECU to use and what to code it as.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok I put the emc from to the donor car it seems to start better but cannot keep it running now so I think I need to change the cluster where boats is that cluster located or is it just change the whole dash system.

I put the donors car computer in it starts but it doesn't have the immobilizer icon on my dash

I did a swap of the engines with the same engine code AWM both motors

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
MY STATEMENT IN POST #7 IS NOT ALL THE WAY CORRECT

CORRECT INFO – WHAT I REALLY DID:

I swapped a 1998 B5 AHA code V6 out of my car and into my wife's car that was originally a 2003 B5.5 ATQ V6.
I kept the original ECU to the 2003 car as that applied all of the needed ATQ settings to the replacement motor.

I then used a 2001 B5.5 ATQ motor to replace the 1998 B5 AHA motor that was originally in my car.
I had to get a used B5 ECU (my original was damaged from corrosion) and then recoded that used ECU from an automatic to manual transmission.

Both of these cars are daily drivers.

Reactions: twowagens

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
The cluster is the unit that has the speedometer and odometer, etc. I can't remember how it is removed but you can find the details here with a search. The whole dash doesn't need to come out, just the unit with the speedometer, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The cluster is the unit that has the speedometer and odometer, etc. I can't remember how it is removed but you can find the details here with a search. The whole dash doesn't need to come out, just the unit with the speedometer, etc.
I have search but not 100% sure what I am looking for any help would be great

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I have a new question for this swap I use the automatic transmission starter in my manual transmission car would that cause it not to start properly as for some reason when you scan it I have an intermediate code that pops up throughout the system

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,212 Posts
Do you mean intermittent? What is the code? And no, it's the same starter.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
The shop and the dealer said there a short in it somewhere
You haven't provided any information in this thread that would indicate a short in the engine harness.
I suggest you get a full scan with VCDS and post the codes.
That would provide the info required to diagnose the issue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts