Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 98 Passat and was wondeing if there are any common problem I should worry about. Car has around 50K on it and is in (what I would call) great condition. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
What kind of Engine is in it? WOW a 98 w/ only 50k, thats awesome. If it is a 1.8T don't miss an oil change or ur turbo will be hurting. I have a 99 V6 and i know right at 62,000 my passenger side CVaxle had to be replaced. Under warranty thank God. BUT welcome to the Site.. I know personally that if you need anything w/ ur passat (info or parts) SOMEONE will be able to help you out.

WELCOME :thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 1.8. I was really looking for a Volvo 850 GLT, but couldn't find one that hadn't been beat up. I test drove the Passat and loved it right away. I was impressed by how soilid it felt.

·
Registered
659 Posts
mbogosia said:
You will need a timing belt soon.
I agree with the timing belt recommendation. I almost lost my engine at 52K due to this problem. Our 98/99 year models have a poorly designed timing belt tensioner, which is prone to failure prior to the 60K recommended replacement. Originally, these cars came with a 10yr./100K warranty. In this case you would not need to worry. However, you are the second or greater owner. Your warranty is only 50K, which you have surpassed. I would research as to whether your B5 had the timing belt/tensioner replaced. BTW, if you have the job done, have the water pump done at the same time (saves you on the labor rate).

The replacement timing belt and tensioner kits have a beefed up (technical term) tensioner. VW determined that they messed up the tensioner design and redesigned the tensioner.

Oil changes: Do not skimp on the oil changes. Our 1.8T engines have a very small oil capacity. This makes them very susceptible to oil sludging. Oil sludging often leads to premature turbo failures ($$$$). I have changed over to synthetic oil to help reduce the likelihood of sludging and premature turbo failure.

There are many very knowledgeable B5 owners on this site. They are more than happy to assist you in preventing and correcting problems.

Welcome to ClubB5!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.