Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.

My front tires are shot.

Problem is that the tires on my car are BF Goodrich Touring T/A, and they do not make them anymore.

Does anyone recomend a comperable tire ($$) and If I have two different front tires, will this effect my car in any way?

I do not want to spend a rediculous amount on tires, nor do I wish to get 16s or 17s.

2003 1.8 GLS
195/65 15

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if I move the back tires (excellent condition) to the front?

My ASR light is comming on in the snow. The front tires suck. But if they are in the back, will it matter?

(Sorry for asking what may be a stupid question, but I am clueless and am trying to learn!!! )

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Okay.

My front tires are shot.

Problem is that the tires on my car are BF Goodrich Touring T/A, and they do not make them anymore.

Does anyone recomend a comperable tire ($$) and If I have two different front tires, will this effect my car in any way?

I do not want to spend a rediculous amount on tires, nor do I wish to get 16s or 17s.

2003 1.8 GLS
195/65 15
Michelin Energy MXV4+. Or, if you don't like Energy's, any other tire made by Michelin. I dunno why, but the French have the best rubber in the world.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
New tires should go on the rear. Watch the video on the second link.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

http://www.michelinman.com/care/tip6.html

I recommend a comparable all season (not summer, winter, or ultra high performance AS) tire if you don't want to purchase four tires (which is the safest option).
i belive that is a rwd vechicle,they are talking about,just dosnt sound right to put tires w/most tread on rear for a fwd vechicle,.anyway i have michelin pilot exaltos a/s directional tires on my 4-motion , they were appx 100$ ea., best thing i ever did was to put them on before last winter. been great all around ,but dont take my word for it ,check out tire racks review and ratings,it is at the top of each category,also i would replace all four imo..........good luck

·
Registered
23,182 Posts

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
so which one is it :confused:

New tires in the rear
or
New tires on the fronts
What you're SUPPOSED to do is rotate your tires a couple of times a year, so they all wear out at the same time. Putting two new tires on a four-wheel vehicle is ALWAYS an inferior option, no matter which axle they go on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought Nokians

Well, I bit the bullet and bought 4 Nokian WR's. $500. Plus free tire rotation for the life of the tire

So far I love them, I really wish that it would snow.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The Wrs rock!

Well, I bit the bullet and bought 4 Nokian WR's. $500. Plus free tire rotation for the life of the tire

So far I love them, I really wish that it would snow.
We really like our WRs as winter tires. Best part is that they don't melt when the temps rise, as in our annual winter trip down south....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hah! You and...well...just you, actually...:crazy:
You have them and don't like them? Please elaborate.

I am a low maintenance girl. Everyone I have spoken to loves them. You are always going to find people who don't like things, doesn't mean that they suck for everyone. honestly, I don't think that I would know the difference between tires. Its not like I will be street racing.

·
Registered
828 Posts
deusexaethera will keep me honest on this one, but I think the comment was about the

"I really wish it would snow" part of the post :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts