Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about tires. the 215/50-15 tires are getting pretty scarce. i hav enew tires, but the a$$h0le at the tire shop sold me summer tires in this size and i need all season tires. so the choices are as follows:
225/50-15 or 205/55-15. both are about 8% larger, resulting in a 8% speedo error. the jerk found some 225/50-15 and before i tell him to go ahead and ordre them, I jsut want to see if they are going to fit with out any interference.
TIA
MARk

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
You should be okay with that size. It'll make your speedo display a marginally slower speed than actual (assuming your speedo was accurate to begin with), and it'll make your gearing effectively a little longer (i.e., slightly lower revs at highway speeds), but it should all be fairly negligible. It's only when you start going more than a 1/2 size in one direction or the other that you really need to start worrying.

And actually, according to this site, your difference is only about 1.7% or 1.8%, not 8%.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
I knew it was a small differnce, but since I didnt have the info handy right when i posted, I pulled a number from my butt. my real concerns are that the tire may be a little wide for the wheel housing, and that 225 might be a little wide for the wheels (6 inch I would guess)
what tires does everyone else have since this is a dissapearing size?

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
where do you live?
ps you get the low post count of the year award.;)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
You can also go for 205/50/15s. I was using these on my car for several years. This size will give you a much wider choice of tire to pick from.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I ran 195/60 15s on my B4 VR6 for ~3 1/2 years. They're a little taller than stock but otherwise, no problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried some Tire Rack Kumho 811 215/50-15 on my 95 VR6. They wore out in 30,000km. I happened to have a couple of new Dunlop A2 in 205/50-15 left over from my B3 so I bought a couple more and have been running those on the car. I like them better.

Next time I'm going to go with 205/55-15. Lots of choice, a little better in the wet than the 215, probably better mileage, better ground clearance in snow and speed bumps.

kar

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm running the Dunlop SP5000 (stock size) asymetrical tread pattern tires on my 96 GLX. I got them from Tire Rack for $107 each. So far they have not failed me in every test I put them through: Snow, slushly crap, (very) high speed driving and cornering. You have to rotate them religously though unless you want to prematurely wear the front two. I'm very happy with them all things considered even though I wish they were cheaper in cost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts