Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The head of a non-profit agency I do some accounting work for has decided to run for Congress and she has asked me to be her treasurer. She is running as a Democrat in a heavily Republican district against a five or six-term incumbent. So now I get to brush up on all of the nitty-gritty of campaign finance law.

A couple of nice perks: I'll probably get to meet some of the Presidential candidates, as well as Jerry Springer.

·
Rogue Assassin
2,977 Posts
As a former "operative" with several sacrificial lambs, my advice is to enjoy your first go-round. There's nothing quite like the cameraderie that develops during the intensity of an election campaign. At some point between now and next November, you'll probably convince yourself -- however fleetingly -- that your candidate actually stands a chance. Forget it. She'll get stomped. By the time you work on your third or fourth you'll have had your fill of lost causes.

And how is meeting Jerry Springer a "perk?" :wink:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no illusions about my candidate's chances in November. I'll be thrilled if she fares better than the guy who ran last term, who managed only 27% of the vote.

As for Jerry Springer, right now he is Ohio's most visible Democrat (yes, I know, a sad state of affairs). Before he got into television, he was mayor of Cincinnati, served on Cincinnati city council, and ran unsuccessfully for the Democratic gubernatorial nomination (circa 1982). He is probably more qualified to hold public office than Arnold Schwazenegger. As screwy as his TV show is, there is nothing off-the-wall about his politics.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
JazzMat said:
As a former "operative" with several sacrificial lambs, my advice is to enjoy your first go-round. There's nothing quite like the cameraderie that develops during the intensity of an election campaign. At some point between now and next November, you'll probably convince yourself -- however fleetingly -- that your candidate actually stands a chance. Forget it. She'll get stomped. By the time you work on your third or fourth you'll have had your fill of lost causes.

And how is meeting Jerry Springer a "perk?" :wink:
Hey, Jazz, don't hold back. Really, tell him the way it is. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
J-RAD
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing