Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering about detail painting the "hat" center portion and possibly the very outer edge of the rotor discs silver on my reflex silver Passat.

Wont those places rust and show through a more open rim design?

Please share photos if you have any!

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Like this.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Wow - I hope that was a joke - Im going to have to look at that vortex thread.

Too funny. That link to Scott's car is SWEET!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
IIRC, atomicalex painted and baked her rotors, so she might be able to pipe in on the issue.

(I did a search since I recall the thread being titled "atomicalex baked her rotors", but all I found was her rant about Wendy's quasi-grilled chicken sandwich.) :poke: :D I guess the thread I was looking for was older than I thought!

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I painted the hat and outer edge on mine the same silver as the wheels with Plasti-Kote Caliper paint.

I just measured the ID of the area around the hat and the OD of the outer area of the rotor where the pad doesn't touch and I cut a piece out of shoe box type cardboard and I held it up and pressed it against the rotor as I sprayed. I wore a surgical glove.

Proper area prep prior to painting of course.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
NH VW Junky said:
Wow - I hope that was a joke - Im going to have to look at that vortex thread.

Too funny. That link to Scott's car is SWEET!
Don't bother, that was the thread that almost shut down vortex. It was the mother of all thread. :lol:

·
Registered
487 Posts
I painted mine with 1200F grill paint, but I think it was the wrong paint to use even though it has the temperature rating. Time will tell. I masked the rotors with 3M packing tape (the transparent type that does peel off without leaving bits behind) and cut away the excess with a box cutter. I tried to get the paint well up the inside too but I doubt it got that far. So far it looks fine on the car, but so far it hasn't rained enough here to get the discs damp.

This is part way through removing the tape from the easy side, the other side was a lot more difficult to mask, on this side I just taped over the whole lot then cut out the disc in the middle.

G

·
geordie said:
I painted mine with 1200F grill paint, but I think it was the wrong paint to use even though it has the temperature rating. Time will tell. I masked the rotors with 3M packing tape (the transparent type that does peel off without leaving bits behind) and cut away the excess with a box cutter. I tried to get the paint well up the inside too but I doubt it got that far. So far it looks fine on the car, but so far it hasn't rained enough here to get the discs damp.

This is part way through removing the tape from the easy side, the other side was a lot more difficult to mask, on this side I just taped over the whole lot then cut out the disc in the middle.

Sorry to tell you this but it will catch dirt break down and look dirty! :sad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.