Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my front rotors (drilled and slotted) and pads (EBC Greenstuff) about a month ago and they are making some serious noise. The first week they were fine then they progressively got worse to where they are unbearable. Funny thing is they seem to only make squeeling noises during certain times. For example, after I have driven for about 10/15 mins then the noise starts. But if I park the car for about 30/60 mins then they would be quite for another 10/15 mins. So it seems when the rotors are warm thats when it makes noises. Also, they dont make any noise if I am braking hard - mostly with soft-to-medium braking. Any clues as to why this is happening? I really need to get rid of the noise - if you did not know any better it would seem as though I need to replace the pads or something.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
did you spray any stopsqueak (or similar product) to the back of the pads before putting them on?

may also be (as suggested) improper beddding....

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I did try bedding the brakes although I haven't had the opportunity to do them correctly. I got the info from the same website that jdp1.8T listed. I guess I will have to find a good stretch of road and try it again. This is not something u can mess up the first time and not correct is it?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny story - I went back to Pepboys to ask them about the squeeling (Don't ask :crazy: ) and the service manager first told my wife that it will make the noise for at least 1000 miles. Then he told me that b/c they are "racing" rototrs and not made for everyday driving, maybe that is why the brakes are squeeling - they should only be used for heavy breaking. I asked him why other cars with the same type of rotors don't have the same problems - he gave me a refund on the work. :shock:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I used the "green stuff" one and I notice that they took quite a while longer that normal pad to break in. So maybe after you think you have them bedded in properly then still take it easy for a couple weeks so that you don't glaze them by accident.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Bedding

The guy at zeckenhausen Racing told me to bed when I get squeals, I thought I bedded mine properly the first time, turns out I was not bedding them hard enough, the second time I tried it I was an evil bastard to them...now they don't make a peep. So you can do it more than the initial bedding, don't be afraid to really lay into em, you will smell them no doubt, but do it, they will be quiet.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Those EBC Green Stuff pads are made for bite and fade resistance and are not the best for everyday use. But like was said before you need to to either apply brake quite to the back of the pads or just use some caliper grease like I did. Even with this you may not be able to get rid of the squealing completely because of the type of pads you have.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everybody! I will attempt at bedding them properly tonight and then see what happens. Then I will try the other suggestions. I dont mind a light squeel, but it is getting ridiculous. I thought I read on tierrack's website (where I bought them from) that they were quite brakes. Need to chk the info on them again. Anyone aelse with "Greenstuff" pad experience?

·
Registered
739 Posts
When you guys say "bedding" do you mean slamming on the brakes? I have the Mintex red's and I applied the brake quite stuff and my brakes still squeel just like GoldenPassat's. So makbe I should try "bedding" them, but what does that mean. I hope I'm not highjacking your thread GoldenPassat, but I have the same problem, so any info could help us both.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
B5in said:
When you guys say "bedding" do you mean slamming on the brakes? I have the Mintex red's and I applied the brake quite stuff and my brakes still squeel just like GoldenPassat's. So makbe I should try "bedding" them, but what does that mean. I hope I'm not highjacking your thread GoldenPassat, but I have the same problem, so any info could help us both.
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
B5in said:
Actually B5in, I am the opposite. My brakes squeel during soft-medium braking. They are ok when heavy braking. You r not hijacking my post - we both want to accomplish the same thing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've actually got the greenstuff pads, they certainly do the trick as far as ability, but i've noticed a small squeal with them as well, even after proper bedding and a few thousand miles. I guess i'll try bedding them again, although i haven't really had any horrific squealing...just a little bit.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
GoldenPassat, the guy from PepBoys actually wasn't lying to your wife. Don't forget that one of the major disadvantages to using cross-drilled rotors is that they take longer to bed, and they can contribute to uneven pad wear! Bedding the pads correctly will help with the problem, but those EBC Green Compound pads are infamous for stinking up the joint during the bed-in process.

EBC pads have built-in shims which should help with any noise attributed to vibration, but you still needed to apply some Brake Squeal or Anti-Seize compound on the back of the pads. I even add some adhesive shims to the pads as a little insurance.

Golden, Riverdale Road going towards Ivy Lane is a great spot to bed in those pads. wink-wink.. hint-hint!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"Golden, Riverdale Road going towards Ivy Lane is a great spot to bed in those pads. wink-wink.. hint-hint!! "

LOL - Swami, I wished I saw this post b4 I went out to bed the pads. I just got back and I was on MD202, but went on to 50E and turned off onto the 450 exit. Its pretty hard trying to bed the pads esp. going from 60 to 10 continuously 6/8 times. I still have some squeeling so next time I will chk out your location.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.