Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK newb question and i honestly tried using the search engine and could not find a satisfactory answer, so here is my question. I currently have stock rims and tores on my 01 B5.5 and am looking to get new rims and tires on it. If I move up in rim size to say an 18 or 19, will I have to increase my brake size to account for the larger wheel? Beyond just the brakes will I need to adjust anything else in the car to take the larger wheels into account as well?

·
Registered
282 Posts
If I move up in rim size to say an 18 or 19, will I have to increase my brake size to account for the larger wheel?
Nope. Depending on the new wheels the OEM brakes may look kind of small but they will work just fine.

Beyond just the brakes will I need to adjust anything else in the car to take the larger wheels into account as well?
If you haven't already I would drop the car first. Putting on larger rims with the stock suspension set up makes the car look like a 4x4. You'll see comments about it all the time in the forum.

BTW, welcome to the forums.

Cheers,
Karl

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool, I hadn't taken that into account, and I would hate to look like I'm rollen in a 4x4 Passat instead of a 4motion one lol. Thank you!:bowdown:

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Aesthetically you may want to increase their size. The issue is that larger heavier wheels make the car more difficult to accelerate and more difficult to stop, so you may want to consider a more aggressive brake pad.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Aesthetically you may want to increase their size. The issue is that larger heavier wheels make the car more difficult to accelerate and more difficult to stop, so you may want to consider a more aggressive brake pad.
It's worth keeping in mind that bigger brakes are almost as heavy as bigger wheels. I ordered a complete set of EBC rotors and pads not too long ago and the shipping weight for the box was 67 pounds. That doesn't include the extra weight of larger rotors and calipers, which a big-brake kit will include.

Upgrade the wheels first. Then take the car out on dry pavement, get up to a good speed, and stomp on the brakes. If you can lock the wheels and engage the ABS, then your tires don't have enough traction to take advantage of larger brakes. Also, if you live in a high-population area, you should consider whether it makes sense to be able to stop a lot faster than the people behind you can stop; nice wheels and big brakes ain't worth shit if your car gets totaled because the guy behind you couldn't stop in time.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
It's worth keeping in mind that bigger brakes are almost as heavy as bigger wheels. I ordered a complete set of EBC rotors and pads not too long ago and the shipping weight for the box was 67 pounds. That doesn't include the extra weight of larger rotors and calipers, which a big-brake kit will include.

Upgrade the wheels first. Then take the car out on dry pavement, get up to a good speed, and stomp on the brakes. If you can lock the wheels and engage the ABS, then your tires don't have enough traction to take advantage of larger brakes. Also, if you live in a high-population area, you should consider whether it makes sense to be able to stop a lot faster than the people behind you can stop; nice wheels and big brakes ain't worth shit if your car gets totaled because the guy behind you couldn't stop in time.
Yup, even with teh stockers, I'm looking the rear mirror to know whether to let up on the brake to keep my ass intact. Farking SUVs.
If you put on big blingy wheels that are like 40lbs, you need new brakes (see donks and other such crap). The only reason you'd really need new brakes is if you track, drive super agressively for long periods, or have some serious power mods.
However that big brake does look sweet through a BBS or something :p

·
Registered
2,986 Posts

somewhat incorrect though...lets say you have stock rotors..and upgrade to the two piece ECS tuning cross drilled/slotted 332mm rotors....these weigh LESS than your stock (smaller in diameter) rotors.

so saying bigger brakes are heavier isnt necessarily true.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts