Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The W8 came with madras that the previous owner managed to curb...all four corners. So now what?

Fix them? What does that cost?

Replace them?

I looked at tirerack and was intrigued by:

Kosei K1 TS

or:

OZ Ultraleggera

These are very lightweight wheels and am wondering if they are safe for a daily driver vehicle on a W8? Can you fit/get VW center caps? I think the stock W8 wheel is 17x8, correct?

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
typical cost to fix rims are $100-200 per wheel. if it's just the lip polish, then a lot less, maybe $30, but not really applicable in your case.

the rim width should be stamped on the inside of the wheel. i'm guessing for the w8 17s, that it'd be 7.5

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tires are 225/45/r17. I can't find a rim width. Assuming that D.Passat00 is correct that the stock rims are 7.5, is it ok to mount a 225/45/r17 on a 8" rim or should I buy new rubber too? Tirerack is recommending 235/45/r17 for an 8-inch rim, which supports the notion that the stockers are 7.5.

Two of the rims on the car are severely gouged, mostly on the lip. They are metallic-silver painted, in case anyone cares.

I like Kosei rims because of their light weight, they are even lighter than the OZ rim. The pic shows two valve stems for the Kosei, which I find odd. Will they hold up just fine under the extra weight/power of the W8, or will they fail catastrophically if I fail to negotiate a pothole on the freeway? If the OZ was racing-only, wouldn't it need to be even more durable to hold up to the abuse of running the car at the limit on the track? I don't see any mention on tirerack about any restrictions or intended-uses for the rims that they sell.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Tires are 225/45/r17. I can't find a rim width. Assuming that D.Passat00 is correct that the stock rims are 7.5, is it ok to mount a 225/45/r17 on a 8" rim or should I buy new rubber too? Tirerack is recommending 235/45/r17 for an 8-inch rim, which supports the notion that the stockers are 7.5.
well, on the mkv gti, i know that both the 17" and 18" wheels are 7.5" wide, and use 225 tires. 225 is fine on a 8" wide rim.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Wheels

I love the OZ look the best. I have used both the Kosei and the OZ these wheels are top notch quality. (low pressure cast, heat treated). I have had the OZ on my car for over a year (and we have alot of potholes) with no issue. Keep in mind as you go to a lower profile tire the chances go up.:thumbup:

Rudy
1-800-428-8355
X664

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there ANY cause for concern using light wheels on a W8 if you plan on using the stock rubber (225/45/r17 or maybe 235/45/r17 when I need new rubber) on the W8?

Here's a guy selling his on ebay with cracks in them. Did that happen due to hitting something? Would the same happen with a heavier rim? Are there VW centercaps available, I don't much like OZ plastered on the car.

Cracked OZ rims for sale

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
you can crack any rim, though rims with low profile tires are more susceptible. some rims are stronger than others, and harder to crack, but even the strongest rim with low profile tires can crack.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How low is low-profile? The stock ones are 225/45, is that really all that low? Is a 225/45 or 235/45 tire relatively safe to run on the OZ, or am I asking for trouble? I've seen some skinny sidewalls, some almost as tall as a bicycle tire.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,293 Posts
225/45 is fine. That's what I'm rocking on my 17x8. If it helps, the stock 17x7.5 rims on my B6 A4 are 225/45 from the factory.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
7.5" or 8", I suggest getting 235/45s for a 17" rim. You will appreciate the comfort over 225/45s.
for the sake of argument, if he uses the same tire in both of those sizes with the same air pressure, do you REALLY think he'll notice the ride difference in a .3" difference overall (which means only .15", about 1/8" more rubber between the rim and the road)? I don't.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd like the speedo to remain as accurate as possible, so I was thinking I would just stick with the factory rubber size: 225/45/r17.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
The sidewall may only be 0.2" taller but the tire is wider too. Which will come into play with curbs and while turning.

I think A4s with 17" rims got 235/45 tires. I know of a few people who have them.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
The sidewall may only be 0.2" taller but the tire is wider too. Which will come into play with curbs and while turning.

I think A4s with 17" rims got 235/45 tires. I know of a few people who have them.
that wider tire will also increase noise, chance of hydroplaning, tramlining, etc. there are many more reasons to NOT go wider than to do it. a 225 will be PLENTY wide enough especially with a tire with a rim protector. turning will be harder at low speeds because of that extra width as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts