Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I go to fill my gas tank. The gas pump keeps clicking off. Based on the number of miles I've done and based on my gauge (which has been generally accurate), I should have been able put at least 8 gallons in. Instead, I could only get 4 gallons in. Sure enough, when I started up the car, I didn't have a full tank.

I thought maybe this was just a problem with that particular gas station, so I went to another. Same problem.

Any idea what's going on?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
It could have been the pressure sensor at the station. I have had that problem once but never since, which leads me to believe their sensors were off. One of the reasons they say not to overfill is it can throw off the pump sensors - likely happened from the person before you.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would also say its the pump sensors....its more common that you thing. Just a PITA really when you have to hold the pump handle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
fill her up!

I have the same problem with my variant.
There is a flap that is opened when you push the fueling nozzle in the filler neck. Well, that flap is linked to a valve that opens to let air and fumes come out of the gas tank as you fill it. If the valve doesn't open, the nozzle keeps clicking off as the gas tank is "burping" to let air out.
I don't know how to access that valve without getting the gas tank off, so I just take my time and try to figure out how much gas I will put in before I start fueling up.
It's a drag when it's -30!

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.