Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, quick question.

Bought the car used in November last year, 23k miles. It now has 32k, brand new spark plugs, and the battery still has life.

When the car is not used for around 12-18 hours, its starting to not turn over on the first try. On the second try, it starts with no problem at all.

Oh wise-ones. I seek your guidance. Could it be I need a new battery? I called the stealership, and those clowns said "we dont put in a new battery in used cars, if it has any juice at all in the lot, we'll sell it". Thanks! :crazy:

Before I go to autozone and get a new battery I thought i'd ask you guys. I'd appreciate any knowledge you have!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
When you say does "not turn over", do you mean nothing happens when you turn the key to start or does the engine crank but the car does not start. Before you buy a battery, have Autozone test yours. Also make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight. Manual or Tip? If you have a manual and your car does not crank the first time, it could be a faulty clutch lockout switch.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say does "not turn over", do you mean nothing happens when you turn the key to start or does the engine crank but the car does not start. Before you buy a battery, have Autozone test yours. Also make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight. Manual or Tip? If you have a manual and your car does not crank the first time, it could be a faulty clutch lockout switch.
Yea sorry about that.

B5, tip. You can hear it attempt, but it fails. Never catches. On second try, it catches immediately. Its pretty weird actually.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what do you mean when you say catches(starts, or starter engages and spins motor). Does the engine run at all
Well you know when you turn the key fully, and the engine "catches" and starts up? It does everything but start.

Example. You turn the key all the way, and you hear the quick "ch-ch-ch*engine starts"... Mine just goes *ch-ch-ch-ch* then it dies.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
so when you hold the key half way thought it just quites turning, or it just fails to start, did you make sure to seat all the coilpacks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so when you hold the key half way thought it just quites turning, or it just fails to start, did you make sure to seat all the coilpacks
No the key turns just fine, but the engine doesn't start up on the very last turnover. It does the "ch-ch-ch" sound then dies off. I take out the key, and then turn it again and the engine starts perfect.

This only happens when the car is off for 12+ hours.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Looks like your starter is not getting enough power, clean your clamps with a wire brush and make shure they are on very tight. If this doesn't help than there is a big chance your starter is going out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts