Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive known about this for a while but was told to say NOTHING until after CES. Its the new Pioneer AVIC-N1 in dash monitor. WOW! :shock:
This thing is cool! Built in DVD/CD/MP3/NAV and it reads out a few guages(speed,tach,etc.). I had asked the rep that told me about it if there would be a "add-on" piece so that it could read out boost and air fuel,etc. but he said they have thought about that and if this takes off then maybe next year we will see those features! Either way, this is a cool ass screen! Plus it matches our lights...........awesome!

Check it out! http://www.avic-n1.com/

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
As cool as it is, I wouldn't buy simply because Pioneer in-dash monitors stick about a mile out of the dash. Maybe it's petty, but that's a gargantuan drawback when we're talking about a $2,000 in-dash unit with no detachable face. But it is a sweet ass unit!

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yea Paul, I know what your saying. I just think its something different but you know, once I really started thinking about it......that thing is going to be a PITFA to install! I have no idea what to charge :???: . I just installed my turbo timer,which needed the speed and tach wire, and that took forever! I know it wont be so difficult on all cars but still, your taking a hour install and turning it into three :mad:

Oh well, still pretty cool!

Brian
p.s. how are those wheels :cry:

·
Registered
467 Posts
I put a pre order in for mine last week. I think they fixed the "stick out a mile" issue with this one. Also they now offer a alternative mount for the older screens to set them back further.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Dub - I'll stick with my IVA-C801. I haven't gotten my car back from the paint shop yet because I'm waiting for my tail from Jonboy. :cry:

Scats - Yes, the other Pioneer units have the option to mount in two positions but even the farthest back mount has the unit almost an inch out of the dash. That was the main reason I sold my old Pioneer screen. In the pic in the link it still looks like it's a good deal out from the dash.

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
I saw this unit prior to CES. I can't remember on what site it was on.

However, it looks great. There is ways to get the Tach, Boost, etc on your current screens.

But, this thing has everything in it. Sweet piece of equipment.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is ways to get the Tach, Boost, etc on your current screens

That is the HKS CAMP system. That utilizes any monitor thats available and it can be your boost, egt, air fuel, oil temp and press.. For everything to be displayed your looking at about 1200 smackers! :shock: . I had thought about that but then I dont have a monitor yet so its quite a pretty penny!

Brian

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Hopefully it won't be something like the DFS system Pioneer tried for a couple of years that went the way of the dodo. It would be sweet if the integrated engine vitals could even be tied into a Pioneer navi system so you don't have to run 2 tach signals and what not.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It looks like the buttons are blue and green so it doesn't match perfect. I like the black though, damn sexy. It doesn't look like it sticks out as far as the previous models. No diving board look on your dash. I remember another Pioneer having the blue/red buttons but the unit itself was more of a champaign color. Damn I wish this unit had red buttons then it would be perfect!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
6 Participants
scats
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing