Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, great forum, I am glad I stumbled across this the other day. As a long time VW owner (18 years, since I was 16), this week I took the plunge and purchased an off-lease 2003 Passat W8. Only picked up the car yesterday, but I am definitely loving it. A lot smoother ride than my 97 GTI 2L that I traded in. Other than a few things that need to be fixed, which are still under warranty, the car is awesome.

For reference, here are the problems I am seeing:

1. Gas Gauge is not working
2. Gear shift indictor not indicating current gear (dark background with the indication with no light)
3. Tiptronic not working (I have a theory that 2. and 3. are related)

Now on to my question, would someone be able to point me in the direction of where to get a modified chip for the car? I am interested in improving the performance a bit, if possible. I went over to the Neuspeed webpage but did not see anything there for this car. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

:: Chuck

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an appt tomorrow at the dealership to the get the Gas Gauge fixed. I am going to have them look at the Tiptronic problem. It still has 8000 mi/2 yrs on the Bumper-to-Bumper warranty. I am going to spend the next couple months scrunitizing every thing about the car. I want to make sure everything gets fixed over the next few months.

Thanks for replying...

Oh also, where are you located in Pittsburgh? I live in Colorado now, but grew up in the 'Burgh and went to Pitt.

Cheers,

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
congrats on a nice sleeper! but yes, definitely work out every bug and also consider purchasing an extended warranty if possible. many w8 owners have saved their wallets by doing so.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i experienced something similar on my ex-B5 v6. it ended up being this "control module" that was fried. electrical-electronics piece that cost some $300 to be replaced... that was 3 years ago so i can't remember the exact details.

mercury26 said:
3. Tiptronic not working (I have a theory that 2. and 3. are related)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will do that, but I have to ask what you mean by TC?

I used to live near Plum, out in the Murrysville area. Actually, I dated a girl in Plum back in the early 90s. (I am showing my age). :)

Cheers,

·
Registered
471 Posts
TC means Titronic Chip. It's located underneath the passenger front carpet. And the control module oregon's referring to is the CCM, Convenience Control Module, located under the driver's front carpet. It could have an effect, but I didn't have those symptoms when my CCM fried (I don't have a Tip, but it didn't screw up my gas guage). Doesn't mean anything, though. These cars have their quirks. Makes them have a personality :lol:

8,184 Posts
raptor1056 said:
TC means Titronic Chip. It's located underneath the passenger front carpet. And the control module oregon's referring to is the CCM, Convenience Control Module, located under the driver's front carpet. It could have an effect, but I didn't have those symptoms when my CCM fried (I don't have a Tip, but it didn't screw up my gas guage). Doesn't mean anything, though. These cars have their quirks. Makes them have a personality :lol:
What??? TC mean TQ converter....as for plum I live right off of 286 closer to murrysville then plum. and raptor mean TCU tranny control unit which controls your tranny but I think it is just you magents....you see the tip mode has mag on the up and down shifting and if they go bad the TCU can't get the info on when to shift. But the W8 needed to check if they have the right TC to take the output of the W8 on that tranny....I think it will be the same setup as a S4.....But I am not sure

·
Registered
471 Posts
pson said:
What??? TC mean TQ converter....as for plum I live right off of 286 closer to murrysville then plum. and raptor mean TCU tranny control unit which controls your tranny but I think it is just you magents....you see the tip mode has mag on the up and down shifting and if they go bad the TCU can't get the info on when to shift. But the W8 needed to check if they have the right TC to take the output of the W8 on that tranny....I think it will be the same setup as a S4.....But I am not sure
My bad. Thanx for the info. :bowdown: I don't have a tip, but I've seen the TCU referred to as a TC. Good to know :D

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Welcome to the W8 Crew. Not to playerhate, but many original W8 owners are getting rid of their cars for various issues. I have to 2nd the recommendation of purchasing an Extended Warranty for your W8. From my experience, it's well worth the investment because repairs for this vehicle outside the B2B Warranty are somewhat expensive. I've already had about $4000 worth of repairs covered by my warranty after I hit the 50,000 mile mark. If you plan on keeping the car long-term get ready for an interesting experience. There's a really good thread on PassatWorld concerning Extended Warranty coverage, which makes for good reading!

Now as far as ECU upgrades only 3 companies have chips available for our cars. GIAC, Wetterauer, and Upsolute have programs available for the W8 Passats. I have to recommend the GIAC ECU flash over Wett and Upsolute's programs.

Best of luck, and if you have any questions please send a shout.

Peace and blessings,

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I will have to look into the Extended Warranty. I believe a lot of people are getting them now, due to them coming off lease. THanks for the information so far, I am finding this all very helpful. I do plan on keeping the car for a while (*knock on wood*), so I will check into an extended warranty ASAP. Do you have any companies you might recommend? Or go for the VW extanded warranty? Hopefully I can still add the warranty on to the car.

·
Registered
973 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
another new W8 owner here...picked mine up in late sept.05. It had about 42k on it, and I got the extended warranty, up to 78k or aug'08 (the car was born in aug '02)
BUT...i've had a few bugs worked out by the dealer..one of them being a blackout in the shift/gear display, accompanied by the car shifting REAL hard, and not coming out of 1st. quick fix of turning ign. off and on.
But I STILL get hard shifts from P to D in real cold mornings? Anyone else experience this?? I'm scared.. im about to cross into 50K next week.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I am getting hard shifts from either 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. I am going to alert the dealer tomorrow when I take the care in.

·
Registered
618 Posts
let me know what they say...i want to tell mine too, but they're reluctant to keep it overnight because (i think) they think i'm just trying to get a loner for the day...but im sick of driving their stupid jeep liberty (i had a tahoe before)

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
There was NO torque converter recall. There has been instances where a seal inside the converter goes bad, causing it to not "lock up" so they've been upgraded & replaced when trouble codes are present. The hard shifts could be due to that or more likely a TCM gone bad...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts