Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2004 Passat GLS 1.8t Variant. However it's time to start making some small modifications, and I would appreciate some suggestions. First, I want to put 17s on it and drop 1.5", does anyone have a pic of a variant dropped 1.5" with 17s? Does this affect the warranty? Second, I want to chip the engine. If I get the chip switch on the GIAC can I get it past my dealer? I'm not going to be racing or going to the track, just running around town. Will all the components of the Passat hold up to the added boost and torque, or do I really need to change the exhaust and DV? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the ride like on 18s? I'm a sales rep, so I need the car to be functional aswell. I need to find a happy medium.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
If I were you I would stick with 17's and a good set of tires with a strong side wall, the potholes in chicago will eat up a set of 18's or 19's. As for a wagon with 1.5" drop and 17's, I have one sitting in my driveway here in Chicago but I have no pics. :sad:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Firstly, Wilkommen to der Klub. Another Chi-town-lander, no less.

If I get the chip switch on the GIAC can I get it past my dealer?
Depends if your dealer is mod-friendly or not. Liberty VW in Libertyville is, in spades :thumbup:. If you want to chip it with GIAC, Dubwerks in Libertyville can do it. Another alternative is Wetteraurer (Wett) and they are in Valpo. I drove down there to get chipped.
or do I really need to change the exhaust and DV?
As for the DV, the conventional wisdom is that you upgrade - the budget approach is the TT DV; then there are the high end ones like Forge, GFB, etc. I am running a TT DV with my 1 bar Wett chip and its been giving me yeoman service. Happy modding and I am in sales too - look out for my lowered silver Variant around Chi-town-land. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got my Passat at Ed Murphy in Schaumberg. Bunch of old guys selling cars, I can't imagine they are too hip on mods. Who knows, maybe they'll just look the other way. Plan on going to Dubwerks, everybody says its the place to go. I drive through the Gurnee area quite a bit. Look for my boring ass stock graphite blue variant. That will change however :) Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Who knows, maybe they'll just look the other way.
Well you don't HAVE to go back to Ed Murphy for service. There are many of us here in CHicagoland that go "out of their way" to Liberty VW for service and parts (Club :b5:-ers get a great :thumbup: discount on parts at Liberty, not to mention the great free java ... :lol: ). As a rule, I don't patronize the (any of the) dealers in Schaumburg - I had some bad experiences there :mad: when I first moved to the area and vowed never to go near any of the establishment on dealership row there.

Plan on going to Dubwerks, everybody says its the place to go.
Rich @ Dubwerks installed my Eibach Pro-System and they did a great job. You won't go wrong there.

BTW, I am running OEM Audi 5-spoke 16's - just upgraded from the stock Passat 15's. Didn't want to get too agressive with the vehicle as it might "scare" the customers. Besides, with the miles that I do (~30K a year), I need to keep the cost of ownership as low as possible. I researched the tires prices and found that 15's and 16's are comparably priced but it jumps signficantly with the 17's on up. My $0.02's worth.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So wait a minute. Even though I bought my car in Schaumburg, I can just take it to Libertyville for all of my service? Call me stupid, but I didn't know that.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
golfhound1 said:
So wait a minute. Even though I bought my car in Schaumburg, I can just take it to Libertyville for all of my service? Call me stupid, but I didn't know that.
Unless you got some free service(s) as part of your deal, I believe you can take your $ anywhere you like. Call VW service at Liberty (847-680 8000) and they will gladly advise you. BTW, you can also PM Tim Hayes "Blownaway" who is the sales manager at Liberty VW to affirm this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts