Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently bought my 2003 Passat GLS 1.8T (I think it’s a b5.5). Anyway when I bought it from the dealership it had a few small problems I wanted fixed:

Drivers vanity mirror light didn’t work correctly. It would turn on for a split second while you flipped the visor down, but then wouldn’t come on when you splid the mirror window open.

There was rattling in the back whenever the bass hit, seemed to be coming from the rear speaker.

The alignment was slightly off.

Anyway, I was just curious of any of these were known issues with the Passats, or if anyone had any input on what could be causing the problem, or how to fix it. This dealership really is a pain and I left my car there for a week and all the did was give it an alignment, even though I wanted all of this fixed. Id rather do it myself if I could, because I cant afford to leave them my car for another week (I hate them).

·
he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
3,779 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on your Passat!

Regarding the mirror light, it is common for the wires in the visor to fail at the pivot points inside. It sounds like you may have damaged visor wiring. If so, your best bet is to take the visor off and disconnecting the elctrical to it before putting the visor back on. I've been reading here and many members have had very strange symptoms and fuses blowing out from the visor, although I believe it mostly affects visors with the HomeLink transmitter.

The rattle could be a blown out sub in the rear passenger door. It could also be a lot of other things. This is pretty hard to diagnose over the internet, but start by checking the speakers themselves.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I would be surprised if it is actually a loose speaker rattling around in the door unless they are aftermarket speakers. The factory speakers are riveted in on all B5s and B5.5s as far as I know, making rattles somewhat less of a problem due to the actual speaker moving about.

My guess is that when you get the panel removed, there will be a lose screw or bolt that holds the inner metal portion of the door on (for instance, one of these circled here: http://www.taligentx.com/passat/images/photo.php?photo=335&exhibition=4&pass=public&lang=eng). When I replaced the cloth in my door panels, every single door I took apart had a loose or missing bolt or nut. I had a rattle in my rear passenger door that was gone once I re-secured everything and put it together...

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,757 Posts
Alignment is not a problem, just get it aligned. Wiring breaking for the visor (wear) and possibly blown rear speaker or loose door panel.

·
he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
3,779 Posts
I would be surprised if it is actually a loose speaker rattling around in the door unless they are aftermarket speakers.
It's not a matter of the entire speaker assembly rattling, rather the speaker cone itself rattling. Pretty common on blown-out speakers.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
The alignment issue is unlikely to be just an alignment issue; the front suspensions on these cars are crap and the arms wear out on a regular basis. Don't be surprised if the shop quotes you several hundred dollars to change out some or all of the suspension arms before they can align the car properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts