Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I like the look, nice smooth lines. Others here will hate it.

Side note: I live in CT in what are the NYC suburbs. Was at a VW/Audi/Porsche dealer yeserday and asked how the Phaeton was doing. Was told not only have they not sold any, there isn't much interest. People see that and then the A8L near it on the lot and just get the A8.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phaeton

I think the status a8 deliver is more for the show off and glam.
vw is more uniqe and not so common...
:oops:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
People are not just sure about dumping big money on a 'simple' VW, like $40k on a W8, let alone twice that on a Phaeton.

That it looks like the Phaeton is good, but not enough people outside of circles like this know the Phaeton even exists. And as noted, will spend the $$ on the extra rings on the grill, just for status or piece of mind. VW has not quite made themselves known for the market they are trying to get into.

And with VW's recent "in your face" service woes paraded around in the media like they are, it just reinforces the slowness of the car's sales.

Remember when the NB came out? People were startled that it cost $16k, which was less than a Corolla, they were still thinking of the little cars they almost died in on several occasions in school, not that it is a first class design now.

If they know they can get an A8 for the same price, which has the misconception of better service, they will do so. VW's cars might be better than their bigger siblings, but you do not hear as much grumbling from Audi owners when coil packs or control arms fail. They are taken of when things go wrong.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm not a marketing expert, but I think the problem with the Phaeton is that it kept theVW brand. The Phaeton may be a superior product, but in the minds of others, a Phaeton owner is someone who overspent on a bug. (After all, Volkswagen is supposed to be the 'people's car', and the Phaeton is definitely not for the masses.)

Toyota came up with the Lexus brand, Honda with Acura and Nissan with Infiniti. Even Mercedes Benz, by itself a symbol of luxury, came up with the Maybach for those who think 5 figures is not enough to pay for a car.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I work at a dealership here in Atlanta, GA (I know, I'm a traitor, but I like to think of myself as Han Solo in the Death Star...well...sort of). We had, I think, three or four Phaetons at one time and as of last week, we are all sold out. We even had the first one come for its first service. We gave him an Audi A6 as a loaner, but they also have a choice of a Touraeg or another Phaeton. Yes, life for them is rough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
B5V6
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing