Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my 4 motion in to the dealer for the 5,000 mile oil change. Holy crap! I got dinged for $110.00!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filter----------------$18.27
7 quarts oil @ 5.65---$39.55
Labor----------------$41.98
Misc. Charges--------$ 6.76
plus sales tax.

Good grief. :hmmm:

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
What year and motor, I know the v6 takes like 6qts, and 5.65 is high. 18 for the filter is what I would question you can buy them a the counter for 10 at most.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
7 liters?
In a V6? Check that dipstick!
That better be syn at that price.
My indie charges $40ish for a V6 change with filter and Pentosynth.
Don't get teh oil chnaged at the dealer :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Pretty typical for a dealer. Charged you 1/2 hour labor for a 15 minute procedure. Oil price is about right if it is synthetic. Misc charges are for oil disposal and consumables. Oil filter seems a bit pricey though.

Consider maintenance at a dealer as "documentation insurance". You can always go back and recreate the maintenance history.

Oh,....just noticed,....1st post, Welcome to the World of VW,....trials and tribulations

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep. 1st post here. I've had German cars before, but have been away for 20 years or so.

I got a 2006 Four Motion Passat. I like the power and the handling, but there's a few things that annoy me, but I've never had a car that I've been 100% satisfied with, so what the heck.

I left the receipt out at work, but I didn't specify synthetic, and I don't think I got charged for synthetic. But on all the other vehicles I've had, I'm positive I've ever spent more than 30 bucks for an oil change. At any rate, I can pretty much say I'm not going back to the dealer for anything except warranty service.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Ah, anybody remember the "good old days" of the first 4 or 5 free oil changes?
I know dealer qoutes around here for my W8 run about 120.00.

Nick - does that $40.00 change use oil supplied by you?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Ah, anybody remember the "good old days" of the first 4 or 5 free oil changes?
I know dealer qoutes around here for my W8 run about 120.00.

Nick - does that $40.00 change use oil supplied by you?
Nope.
Its over at Metric Auto Works (Not to be confused by metric auto parts, though woned by the same people), I think its actually 40-something, but still a damn good deal.
If you don't wanna DIY, I'm sure they'd love to play with your car. As I think I've said before, they were rebuilding an S4 V8 last time I was there, every cool :)

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
My Old man say the same thing.
If your old man wants to pay for a paved floor and fixing the angle into the garage so I don't scrape, I'll change my oil myself :p
Also, i'll need a space heater
That or a house with attached, paved garage :p

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
If your old man wants to pay for a paved floor and fixing the angle into the garage so I don't scrape, I'll change my oil myself :p
Also, i'll need a space heater
That or a house with attached, paved garage :p
Such a girl, I was out there yesterday when it 0. No problem what so ever. Pop the drain off, warm up. Pop the drain back it, and fill.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Such a girl, I was out there yesterday when it 0. No problem what so ever. Pop the drain off, warm up. Pop the drain back it, and fill.
You're a native. That means you have immunity to temps over -30 and possibily a humorous accent.
/Its not normal :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts