Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone… I just bought a 2002 w8 wagon with 43k miles for my soon to expand family :)

I think the car rocks – it has good power, handles well, feels solid, and seems like a lot of car for the money. its not perfect, but is in excellent shape (apart from the issues below). but I’ve been getting a bit worried reading about all of the repair/maintenance that it seems to require. I was warned by my mechanic/cousin that the car was prone to electronic failures before I bought it, but reading this board is really driving the point home. This board seems to be an excellent resource, though – I have some questions, so please forgive the long post.

When I bought the car it had a small leak… oil was seeping out of the front of the transmission around a seal where a wire harness enters the trans. (I found this inspecting the car before purchase). Has anyone else had this happen on their passat? its at the shop now being repaired. I’ve seen some posts about a belly pan – is that the plastic pan that goes under the engine, or should there be something under the trans as well?

the day after I got the car home it threw a p0456 (evap emission control system leak very small). The dealer had put some gas in before giving us the car, but we had driven more than 100 miles before the code showed up. I tightened the gas cap and cleared the code and it hasn’t shown up again in more than 200 more miles of driving. Was this probably just a loose gas cap, or do you think there may be more to it? I have the service history from the local dealer that did all of the service on the car, and there is no mention of any check engine lights.

I filled the car up for the first time, and after driving about 60 miles I looked down and saw that the fuel gauge was showing just over a half tank (it had registered full after the fillup). I had the dash display set to show how many more miles I could travel before refueling, and it showed 205 miles (it showed 390 after the fillup). Then, over the course of the next 15 minutes or so the gas gauge slowly came back up to full (and the trip computer increased the number of available miles). No problems since. What’s up with that? The service history doesn’t mention any problems with the fuel gauge.

there is a constant ticking/clicking sound that comes from the center of the dashboard - its extremely faint, but i think it is the a/c blend door servo. i've also been told by vw tech that the sound is a fuel venting system, but i don't think this is correct. on your passat, when you change the direction of airflow (like enable blowing on feet, or disable blowing on feet) can you hear the servo moving the blend door (i can, quite loudly) or is it silent? i think my servo may need to be replaced.

The owner’s manual states that the turn signals should have a ‘lane change’ function that will flash 3 times when you push the stalk just to the point of resistance, but it doesn’t work on my car – should it?

Why is there a button to turn the rear-view mirror dimming on and off? (my other car has an autodimming mirror that is active all the time). Is it ok to just leave it on all the time in the passat, or will this wear it out?

The insides of the headlight covers are very dirty. i found some threads here about removing the headlights and disassembling them with a heat gun to clean them… is the heat gun just for removing adhesive, or do you need to soften/bend plastic to get them apart? The lights are plenty bright as is, but the covers look horrible so I want to take care of it.

Some other strange things from the service history: there was a note that the cv boots should be replaced because of cracking, followed by another note that they were not replaced. There was a report that the brights didn’t work at one point which the dealer couldn’t replicate, and a turn signal bulb holder melted and needed to be replaced. Otherwise, just service, brakes and alignment.

Has anyone had luck with an aftermarket warranty on this car? Do they cover most of what could go wrong with this car, or do you end up paying anyway? (I’ve been quoted about $1500 for ‘major repairs’, or $2400 for bumper to bumper for 4 years and 100,000 from warranty direct.)

Again, I apologize for the long post, and for asking any questions that may have had frequent coverage in the past. Any answers will really be appreciated.

…j

·
Registered
479 Posts
jb5, wwelcome to the Club!
Another W8!!
Lets see how many of these I can answer for you.
Belly pan does not cover transmission.
Loose gas cap or over-fill probably gave you this code.
Don't know.
Don't know.
Do not have a 3-flash lane change feature on my W8 that I know of.
I leave my auto-dimming mirror on all the time. No problem so far.

Search this site for "extended warranty". TONS of information.
I just purchased an extended warranty through The Auto Club. For my '03 Tip with 35K miles, I paid $1975 for complete bumper-to-bumper with roadside assistance and tire hazard coverage for 5 years or 100K miles. And $0 deductible.

Enjoy the W8. They are awsome.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did you ever find out exactly what the problem was with the leak around the seal in front of the transmission? I have a 1.8T and have the same problem. It is driving me CRAZY! Mine is an 05 with 50K on it. I believe it has leaked for some time, and the dealerships cannot determine what it is.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Reflex1.8T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts