Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner of a 2001 b5 1.8t 108k
1 previous owner(original owner, to used car lot, to me)
As soon as i bought it, i brought it to a name brand oil change place, they scanned the code in the door and
Told me the previous owner had oil changed at same company with synthetic(verified name on title), about 7k miles before i came
,,so at least PO knew to use synthetic.
Dealer gave me in writing that timing belt n tensioner changed a month previously to
me buying.
Inside and out n engine compartment are very clean.
i called volkswagen of america, gave them the VIN and they said there are no undone recalls for my car.
New rebuilt alternator n new battery n new dv hose as of this month and new inspection as of this month

My question is: what should i do to prevent SLUDGE, and keep it running great and keep it outta trouble???? I see horrible reviews online n it worries me. Should i change plugs n wires? If so to what brand n number?
I just had oil changed with synthetic, next time should i use seafoam prior? Bigger oil filter then stock? If so what part number? What else should i do? I have been using premium gas as well... I just dont want to run into trouble anytime soon id rather treat her right now then have to fix later

Best oil?
Best bigger filter?
Best plugs?
Best wires?
Best air filter?
BEST MODS?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Whew. First of all preventing EVERYTHING from going wrong is going to be a lot of work:D Sometimes shit happens and there's nothing you can do about it. What you can do is educate yourself about your car and spot stuff before it breaks. Then profit $$$

Now, as far as your concerns of sludge the first step you should take is to get an oil pressure gauge. Pressure readings will allow you to determine if your engine is in good shape or not.

If oil pressure is good (greater than 20psi @hot idle), then just keep using synthetic oil and a fresh filter every 5k miles.

If oil pressure is bad (less than 20psi @hot idle), then you can do some research here to determine your next steps.

When were plugs last changed? More than 30k miles ago? Ok, change them. If they are new just leave them alone. Should you still be worried go ahead and take 'em out and do an inspection yourself!

So long as you're turbo is stock the best air filter is the paper OEM one in the OEM air box.

Oh and pro tip of the day USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION:poke::D

You can find anything and EVERYTHING you need to know on this site if only you look hard enough.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
Best oil?
Best bigger filter?
Best plugs?
Best wires?
Best air filter?
BEST MODS?
Search is your friend. However:

Best oil is a synthetic 5w40 or 0w40 that says on the label "VW 502.00 approved"
Best bigger filter is the VW OEM unit, or Mann equivalent.
Best plugs are VW OEM or NGK equivalent (PFR6Q)
You don't have ignition wires in the usual sense.
Best air filter is VW OEM or Bosch equivalent.
Best MOD is probably a brand name (APR, Unitronic, etc) ECU chip. Leave your intake alone.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And what do i buy for plug wires if they are not typical plug wires?

So if i look up the stock oil filter it will be the larger one everyone reccomends?

What are symptoms of failing spark plugs?

·
Registered
853 Posts
And what do i buy for plug wires if they are not typical plug wires?

So if i look up the stock oil filter it will be the larger one everyone reccomends?
The 1.8T has coil packs. It is a coil and spark plug wire combination, one per cylinder.

You can increase your oil capacity by using a larger than stock size oil filter. Purolator L40316 or Wix 51333 / NAPA Gold 1333 are some examples.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Good news is your 1.8T doesn't have spark plug wires. The plug in each cylinder is fired by a coil pack.

Best tool you can have in using this forum is Search. The search button is located just below the ad banner on the far right hand side.

As long as you're using a quality 5W40 synthetic oil, changed every 7K to 8K (depending on use), there shouldn't be any sludge issues.

·
Registered
853 Posts
My question is: what should i do to prevent SLUDGE...
I just had oil changed with synthetic, next time should i use seafoam prior? Bigger oil filter then stock?
Not every 1.8T get's sludge. Driving conditions are certainly a factor, the more short trips the bigger the risk. If you do a lot of highway driving 5,000 mile oil change intervals are adequate. If your routine includes a lot of stop and go driving then 3,000 mile oil change intervals would be better. Remember to service your PCV system on a regular basis.

Using a larger than stock size oil filter should reduce your risk for sludge somewhat. A Big Kahuna size filter will allow you to increase your oil capacity to over 5 quarts.

Using products such as Seafoam, Kreen, Marvel Mystery Oil as engine cleaners impact your oil's viscosity. There should be less of an impact when using Auto-Rx.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
BTW, the PCV system on the Passat is a far cry from the simple hose and valve of older American cars. It's a fairly complex system of pipes, hoses, and valves that unfortunately needs to be serviced every three or four years (in my experience). Servicing basically means taking it all apart, cleaning what you can and replacing what you must. If you don't, pressure will build up and lead to oil leaks, sludge, and even running problems.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Id like to know more about dismantling n cleaning the pcv system...where is it on the motor?, what do i need? Etc?

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,142 Posts
Id like to know more about dismantling n cleaning the pcv system...where is it on the motor?, what do i need? Etc?
Hold in mind the members aren't being rude or unhelpful; it's just that this board has as reasonably effective search system, and questions like this have been answered in detail many times.

In the case of the PCV system, there's a lot of variation year-to-year and even car-to-car, especially with the 1.8T's. Hard to give exact instructions. It's spread all over the engine compartment, so your best bet is to get a shop manual, one or more of the write-ups here, open the hood and start figuring.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hold in mind the members aren't being rude or unhelpful; it's just that this board has as reasonably effective search system, and questions like this have been answered in detail many times. .
Exactly. PCV is discussed almost every week here. There's a large amount of threads on it here and on Audizine covering multiple engine types(AEB, AWM, etc..)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts