Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2002 vw passat glx. Its a v6 engine for my wife this week. Ive been trying to diagnose the issue of the windows not working. The switch on the drivers door is plugged in connection is good there, the independent switches in the other doors work as well. I hear the motors working but they don't move. I was told that it just needs i fuse, now i replaced all the fuses I the fuse panel by the drivers door. Please can anyone help!?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you hear a whirring or any crunching like a cable is loose when the motor runs?

Might need a new door regulator.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
I 2nd the idea of the regulator if the motor is running without moving the window. However, all 4 regulators at the same time? Not likely. More information needed please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear a clicking noise when i push or pull the switch but the windows don't move. So i might need 4 regulators? All at once, i find that odd but I'm new to this

·
Registered
20 Posts
All 4 cannot be regulaters, sorry I did not read it right, one or two but very unlikely 4.

Regulators are wear and tear as they fray or even snap in extreme cold.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,074 Posts
Moved to the B5 forum.

People, this was originally in the new member forum. It is stated everywhere not to post up there asking for help. Please do not answer threads if posted in that forum. Now we have to clean this up and move it since people responded with help.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
There are not many things that can cause all windows to not operate, but the thermal fuse on the relay panel can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I 2nd the idea of the regulator if the motor is running without moving the window. However, all 4 regulators at the same time? Not likely. More information needed please.
So i was told that all it needed was a fuse replaced for the windows to work. The electronic release for the trunk doesn't work as well but the release for the fuel door works. When i try to roll the windows down I've tried from the independent window control, the driver controls and by using the key and nothing works, but i hear the motor working at each window.
Does everything else work OK?
Radio, lights, horn, starts fine?

Yes everything works just fine besides the windows working and the trunk not opening without using the emergency lever

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,074 Posts
Sorry

It's all good. I am a one man show here. If everyone pitched in and kept things in the right areas, it would help me a lot. I get enough spam registrations and threads to deal with as it is. Just trying to keep this place neat and tidy.

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was not paying attention when I replied to the post, truly sorry as I can imagine how hard it must be to run this.

I will not make the same mistake again.

Thank you for all your efforts.

·
Registered
2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion
209 Posts
I recently bought a 2002 vw passat glx. Its a v6 engine for my wife this week. Ive been trying to diagnose the issue of the windows not working. The switch on the drivers door is plugged in connection is good there, the independent switches in the other doors work as well. I hear the motors working but they don't move. I was told that it just needs i fuse, now i replaced all the fuses I the fuse panel by the drivers door. Please can anyone help!?
You hear the motors working but no up or down DEFINITELY sounds like a regulator(s) have gone. It's just a little plastic piece stuck on riding on a little barrel attached to the wire that runs through the motor. Not surprised that it would go on a 19 year old car. Your best fix is to remove the door panels and see for yourself if you need the entire regulator or just those clips. Be gentle when dismantling and take A LOT of photos.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Try to roll down the window, then try if you are able to slide the windows downwards by hand. Then the plastic clips are gone. Also it´s strange that all four are concerned at once

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
It sounds kinda far fetched that all four windows don't work, but if your in the rust belt, or in a hot climate I can certainly see that happening.
Three out of four windows are kaput on my 98 GLS (daily driver) right now. Drivers front is the only one that works at the moment. Good thing the sunroof still works. :p

Reactions: CntrlNJPassatGuy

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
I suggest you check these fuses.

Fuse S37 30A Thermal fuse. (On 8 pos. relay carrier) goes to all 4 doors and powers the windows motors.
Fuse F38/15A goes to all 4 doors.
Fuse F14/15A (or 10A) powers the CCM, which activates the door control units, which control the motors.

S37 thermal fuse and location.
View attachment 13050
View attachment 13058

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hear a clicking noise when i push or pull the switch but the windows don't move. So i might need 4 regulators? All at once, i find that odd but I'm new to this
As a some others have mentioned. The white plastic clips that attach at the bottom of the windows, and to the regulator mechanism, are prone to breaking. If broken, it cannot create a mechanical connection to the regulator, to wind the window. It is an obvious design fault. Sad as it such a cheap part. This happened on a 2003 GLX Wagon that I used to have, actually on the passenger side. It may have been that the person you bought the car from did not disclose, and perhaps you did not test any of the windows. It is possible that all 4 may be broken. Taking the inside door panel off to have a look is not all that difficult.
For parts that are reasonably priced, check the following sites. You should also be able to see the whole window & regulator parts assembly schematic.
Genuine and OEM Replacement Car Parts Online | BMW Volvo Audi VW Mercedes Porsche Saab | FCP Euro
Genuine OEM Volkswagen Parts & Accessories
VW Parts, Accessories, and DriverGear - Volkswagen of America Online Store

Dealer prices are obviously super high. It is shops that do auto glass replacement that are the best at doing window regulators, as they do this everyday all day long. Just simply take the parts and the car to them.

Good Luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts