Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
Make sure you get an electric gauge with a sender. You don't want an oil line going into the car to the gauge. I had one on my 1st car, a 69 Chevelle and luckily, it only leaked at the motor side.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
No oil level switch on this sump. I have a really basic dash without an LCD display. I am moving forward with the CCT replacement. Does the forum think I should replace the chain too?

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
AS long as the old CCT pads are intact, I would not replace the chain.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
All done, just waiting for a torque wrench to go the 10nm for the cam caps. Dont have one that goes that low.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I think I may have bits in the sump as this seal or whatever it is just broke apart when I removed the bottom tensioner.
Its all beat up.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
View attachment 98210
[/QUOTE]
Is it just me ? But it appears that the cam timing mark on the intake cam sprocket is "retarded" about 1 tooth as it is not by mark on bearing cap (or is this just reflection). A slightly closer pic would help, BTW not nit picking, but hate to see your labor go for naught. And I also believe the bearing caps are out of sequence ,I thought the very first cap (dual/ front of engine cap) was number #1.......

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I stand corrected , the caps are numbered back to front , they are installed in the correct sequence, my apologies.,Chief

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Haha helps to have a second pair of eyes, those caps have 2 numbers on them, when I was installing them I got as confused as you were. Fortunately, I took them off and placed them in the order they where removed.
On the timing, I didn't use the normal method as mine is a lot easier but don't care to post it as someone out there will break stuff and blame me so I rotated to TDC and they are perfect. Guess it's on to sealing this down then new thermostat, thermostat housing, expansion tank, and all the belts.

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
I would not worry about that little bit of seal if it fell into the crankcase. It's not large enough to plug the oil pump inlet screen. It's good to see an obvious problem with the CCT, at least you know it really was the issue.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts