Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
obviously a V6 , sounds like you have lost a CCT guide shoe(s), , cannot tell which "bank" it is on. You need to address this ASAP before something catastrophic possibly happens. Is your CEL on?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I'm also suspect of the CCT, that sure sounds noisier than normal.
Sounds like it's not getting much oil to the head, or VERY thin oil.
What's it look like down inside the oil fill hole on the valve cover and underside of the oil fill cap? Dark burned deposits?
I wouldn't be revving that engine or driving any more for that matter until you crack open that valve cover to investigate.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or cam chain tensioner assembly?

You know that infamous tensioner? Mine is still stock.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Or cam chain tensioner assembly?
You know that infamous tensioner? Mine is still stock.
That's what I was referring to, the CCT.
Is that a picture of YOUR car?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's due for its oil change now. I was going to do it as well as a whole bunch of other goodies I just got from ECS.
I just installed a new expansion tank and heard it while burping the coolant.
I just never heard that noise before. It seems to make a noise under no load, just revving. No noise at idle.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I'm still in the same camp, pull that valve cover off and investigate that CCT for missing, broken or severely worn plastic shoes (top and bottom) and also check to make sure the cam chain is not slack. If there is any slop in the cam chain the CCT is partially collapsed.
Now I even suspect this even more because of you mentioning pinging. I personally have never heard a Passat engine pinging unless something was seriously wrong.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I was going to post "Is the ignition timing adjustable" here but had too many red faces so far. Post back tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Worn CCT shoes will have notches cut into them from the sides of the cam chain.
Usually they get cut up or worn so badly the get very thin and brittle and break apart, working there way into the bottom end of the engine, getting sucked up into the oil pick-up screen and starving the engine of oil.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Worn CCT shoes will have notches cut into them from the sides of the cam chain.
Usually they get cut up or worn so badly the get very thin and brittle and break apart, working there way into the bottom end of the engine, getting sucked up into the oil pick-up screen and starving the engine of oil.
Great! Guess he will be sitting for a few.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Yeah, I was going to post "Is the ignition timing adjustable" here but had too many red faces so far. Post back tomorrow.
Timing is NOT adjustable or at least in the way you are referring to.
The timing has static adjustability, but that is ONLY for when you change the timing belt, timing chain or CCT.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Have you checked to see that something hasn't come loose and it bumping up against something or loose and just rattling?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nope. Nothing loose. If it was a bearing, it would make a noise all the time correct?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
because the exhaust cams are always positively driven by the timing belt and thus timing chain sprocket also, when you hit the gas (rev engine) ,chain slack is removed from the top of the chain's path by the CCT upper piston moving up to advance intake cams timing, when revs are "backed" off chain has slack and is "slapping" valve cover. (noise) Believe upon inspection you will see the plastic guide shoe is gone.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts