Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its fairly hot today, around 85 degrees, and when I was just taking off for lunch I noticed the Passat had a little noisier ticking sound. I suspect its the injectors, as I know a bearing ticking is different. Is there anything I can do to quiet it down a little? I can hear the ticking from behind the car, and its noticiable standing next to it.

Oil is up to lvl, and oil pressure is good (approx 17-18psi park idle, usually its in the range of 15-19psi). I have noticed the ticking noise before, but never was this loud.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Injectors are easy to check for noise, but not likely the source that you hear. Take a tube, for instance, a vacuum clearner's straight extension, and put that between your ear and each injector in turn. An excessively noisy one should be obvious. Any that you suspect can be disconnected while running to verify, but you will set the CEL (should self clear though).

More probable are the valve lifters, but lots of things could make a ticking sound.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.