Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading on Vortex about the Passat TDI getting rave reviews for it's new diesel particulate improvements. Any new news for when we might see the Passat TDI in the US specifically here in California?

·
Registered
411 Posts
It won't be offered in the following states: CA, MA, ME, NY or VT. It's too bad, I would have been intersted in the TDI. I also heard that there will be no manual available.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
jasonar said:
It won't be offered in the following states: CA, MA, ME, NY or VT. It's too bad, I would have been intersted in the TDI. I also heard that there will be no manual available.
Hopefully, by the time I'm ready to replace my B5, VWofA will offer a TDI Passat with manual transmission here.
(By then, maybe less States will be on the "not-available" list.)

·
Registered
299 Posts
TweakedB5 said:
jasonar said:
Hopefully, by the time I'm ready to replace my B5, VWofA will offer a TDI Passat with manual transmission here.
(By then, maybe less States will be on the "not-available" list.)
I believe 2006 is the year that the US will have the better diesel fuel (far less sulfur), which should allow it (and others) to be sold in all states.

-Craig

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Will the cleaner fuel provide better performance or just better emmissions? Will diesel engines need to be tuned differently to take full advantage of it?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I love diesels..... Why won't they put a manual in it? I know that supposedly this 2.5 TDI works better with the automatic, but come on, it can't be impossible - and VW not offering things with a manual option is really starting to get on my nerves! For an example I would provide one word: Microbus. Now who would have ever believed when the original was produced lo those many years ago that it would have been re-created (at least conceptually) with no manual. Bah! :mad: That thing won't even look right with a tiptronic wedged in it. It truly needs a 3 ft. long stick-shift like the old 4-speeds had. I loved those things. An '82 Vanagon was my first car, after all.

And here I thought VW was finally overcoming this lately emergent fault when they broke down and mated the W8 with a 6 speed manual (option). :(

·
Registered
159 Posts
I own a Golf TDI and get lots of great info and tech help on Fred's TDI site. The address is tdiclub.com It is really a great forum. They have a section there that keeps updating the Passat TDI info. There are some true experts over there on VW diesel engines.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
In the US tha Passat will have a 2.oL diesel. The bigger one is a V6 and is avail in Europe - sounds good to me! Just read an article in the Feb Volkwagen Driver from UK and they said the V6 is very smooth. Interestingly the 0-60 time was over 11 sec, but I think with so much torque, you wouldn't notice that in everyday driving - just starts losing it when you are looking for HP.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
outrun said:
I believe 2006 is the year that the US will have the better diesel fuel (far less sulfur), which should allow it (and others) to be sold in all states.

-Craig
Wow!, where did you hear that?
As far as I had heard (a while ago), the low sulfur diesel fuel was supposed to be here in the US in 2004!

Isn't that just typical of our lilly-livered political system and the big-spending special interest groups (oil companies in this case)! :mad:

At least I'm planning to keep my cars at least thru 2006.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
So, they will Not sell the TDI in certain states like CA, MA, ME, NY etc...... . Emission requirement (i know they are tight in CA)?. But could someone just go to another sate and buy one??. It's kind of stupid to me :???: . Or am i not understanding the problem?. I drove a few TDI back in europe with the 5 and 6 speed manual transmissions, and i would not own a TDI unless it was Manual. No other ways to feel and enjoy that low end torque :thumbup: .

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
TweakedB5 said:
Wow!, where did you hear that?
As far as I had heard (a while ago), the low sulfur diesel fuel was supposed to be here in the US in 2004!

Isn't that just typical of our lilly-livered political system and the big-spending special interest groups (oil companies in this case)! :mad:

At least I'm planning to keep my cars at least thru 2006.
Actually, the oil companies don't really care. They're going to sell the fuel with the same profit margin either way. The push back against the new diesel regs is from the US trucking industry. The real reason for the change in sulfur levels is to allow for new emissions systems to be installed in diesel trucks by 2007. It's like removing lead from gasoline so catalytic converters can be added. The cost to the trucking industry will be fairly substantial.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
BUMP!!!

Does anyone know if the TDI will be offered with 4motion? A friend of mine says that a Passat TDI with the all wheel drive would be like his [realistic] "dream car" and I hate giving people bad news :wink: . Would be a great car if it came over like that. I think he'd want a five speed too...

-Wapptor

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Wapptor said:
BUMP!!!

Does anyone know if the TDI will be offered with 4motion? A friend of mine says that a Passat TDI with the all wheel drive would be like his [realistic] "dream car" and I hate giving people bad news :wink: . Would be a great car if it came over like that. I think he'd want a five speed too...

-Wapptor
He may have to move to Germany to get that dream car!
Otherwise he'd better wish for heated seats as well, 'cause it's gonna have to get pretty cold for that car to make it to the States! :wink:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Has anyone heard what trim levels will be offered with the TDI? I won't be ready to trade the W8 for a couple years, but I hate that you cannot buy a car that is both luxurious AND economical. Don't manufacturers realize there is a market for that? I don't want cloth, no gagets, no power stuff, etc. just because I like good mileage. Jeez!

·
Registered
464 Posts
From the three I've now driven so far, two wagons and a sedan. TDi is currently available in GL and GLS, 5 speed tiptronic ONLY, I've driven both. The only engine is the 2.0 litre pump duese 4 cylinder. The awesome 2.5 l V6 available in europe cannot run on the current US diesel fuels. No manual, no six speed, no 4 motion is available now or in the forseeable future. They expect no more tha12% of US passat production to be allocated for the TDI.

I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow to seriously mull over the silverstone gray gls I drove(If it's still there) I'mgoing to do a back to back with the otherwise identicle 1.8t tip wagon sitting next to it to get a real comparison. I can't judge with mine being chipped and a 5 speed. Either way, it's no slug. Excellent accleration and very smooth shifts, even under foot on the floorboard full throttle from the redlight. I had the TC blinking this afternoon in the sedan I drove today.

One thing I don't care for is the anthracite leather interior that has been in the GLS's. I'd much prefer straight up black.

The cuerrent 2.0 is more than adequate. The gear ratios in the tip are well matched to the engine. Everyone suggests they just give us the european manual or the manual already in the passat. The gear ratios would be all wrong, and I believe as well the european cars have different ratios and final drive than the US so it would in fact, require a different tranny be certified. Let's hope for 2005.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
19 Participants
mackman
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing