Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had all motor and tranny mounts replaced on my 1.8 but there is still pronounced vibration in gear, especially reverse. Shop said they took it to tranny shop to make sure it's not tranny or torque converter. Well what the heck else can it be? It's fine in park or neutral FYI.

· Registered
1,610 Posts
I just replaced my motor mounts (left/right) with Meyle's version of 1.8T OEM, and the vibration is increased a bit. It has done it since I drove it off the lot new, but has bit worse lately. With the new mounts, I even get a bit more vibration in park/neutral.

· Registered
262 Posts
I had all motor and tranny mounts replaced on my 1.8 but there is still pronounced vibration in gear, especially reverse. Shop said they took it to tranny shop to make sure it's not tranny or torque converter. Well what the heck else can it be? It's fine in park or neutral FYI.
Have you always had vibration? By your post, I'm assuming you did. something is out of balance...

· Registered
1,314 Posts
The symptons you describe are quite similar to what happened to me a few years ago. I wouldn't call mine a vibration as much as I would a "rough idle", but could be just semantics.

Try this, assuming you have a TIP. Put the car in gear, put your left foot firmly on the brake so it doesn't run away, note the rpms (should be around 800 give or take). With your right foot on the accelerator, raise the rpm to 1200. Is it any smoother? If so, increase to 1500. Is it smoother still? If so, I'd clean the throttle body really good.

The problem I had was very noticeable in 1st and reverse, but not in the higher gears. This is because once that incredibly filthy throttle body opened up a little (so you could get some air), all was better. It was only at idle or very low rpms where the vibration or roughness was really noticeable. And it was never an issue in Park or Neutral, just like yours.

· Registered
105 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I too experience the shudder at stops, but it is often accompanied by brief drops in rpm. If yours does too, check out this thread

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=158009

I think the slight shudder may be normal due to the brake switch telling the engine to help with braking/holding car at a stop, and idle power has to go somewhere but can't (sounds reasonable to me, anyway), but the erratic rpms isn't. Just my 2 cents.

This was one of the answers I recieved in my post hope this will help the part is around $3-11 dollars at NAPA.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The symptons you describe are quite similar to what happened to me a few years ago. I wouldn't call mine a vibration as much as I would a "rough idle", but could be just semantics.

Try this, assuming you have a TIP. Put the car in gear, put your left foot firmly on the brake so it doesn't run away, note the rpms (should be around 800 give or take). With your right foot on the accelerator, raise the rpm to 1200. Is it any smoother? If so, increase to 1500. Is it smoother still? If so, I'd clean the throttle body really good.

The problem I had was very noticeable in 1st and reverse, but not in the higher gears. This is because once that incredibly filthy throttle body opened up a little (so you could get some air), all was better. It was only at idle or very low rpms where the vibration or roughness was really noticeable. And it was never an issue in Park or Neutral, just like yours.

I do think that the TB could use a cleaning but I'm convinced this is not a rough idle problem, especially considering the difference between park and in gear.

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm wondering if this related to another vibration I'm getting under acceleration.
The shop I just had it at thought it could be a bad axle but wouldn't that vibrate at all speeds even in neutral?
And how can I I have a bent axle anyway, never been wrecked.
Also I dropped by another shop for another opinion and was suggested it might be differential fluid dried up.
Considering the car has never had any tranny fluids replaced, I'm thinking of taking it to a tranny shop and have new fluids put in everything.

· Registered
3,305 Posts
I do think that the TB could use a cleaning but I'm convinced this is not a rough idle problem, especially considering the difference between park and in gear.

I feel this sort of rough idle with my TIP when in drive stopped at a light. If I shift to neutral, 80% of the vibration is gone.

My situation sounds similar to a few of you. I don't think it is completely the motor mounts, and I'd like to avoid paying $200-$300 for the mounts, and then pay the labor for replacing the mounts if the majority of my problem can be cleared up with a throttle body clean.

Would appreciate your suggestions, and don't mean to hijack this thread!

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just back from tranny shop, had fluid and differential oil both replaced.
My vibrations have been cut in half and now are just annoying where as before they were intolerable. Having not driven a new 1.8 I don't know how much I'm supposed to tolerate. :)

· Registered
225 Posts
what brand fluid did you use, how much did they change, did they do a tranny filter at the same time.

thanks.

I had my motor mounts replaced and mine is also vibrating like a sander in drive/rev (TIP), smooth in neutral. I think it's stiffer mounts, not like OEM (Meihl). I have 90k on the beast and think a tranny fluid swap is in the future for my little "Lemonator".

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And the saga continues...3rd tech says I have a bad right axle.
got that replaced which did cure a sort of shudder I was having.
But the damn car is still rattling my teeth out at stoplights.
I have an appointment with the dealer to have my car looked at for the recall, guess I'm going to have to ask them.

As for tranny, had them do full service, filter and new fluid, not sure what brand, and also new synthetic diff oil.

· Registered
71 Posts
bump from the dead-u get this fixed? Could be a bad strut bearing. If the strut mount nut is loose, or if the bearing rubber is split, it makes a rubbing noise at low speed momentum changes like starting & coming to a stop. do a search, coupla threads on it from what i remember.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.