Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal this summer is to learn to mig and tig weld, so i was thinking, now that i know the antena for the W8 is just a prop and the real radio antena is in the rear window glass, why not take the antena off, weld in some metal and paint.

this is the p-chop i tried

any comments would be appriciated

·
Registered
272 Posts
regardless of whatever antenna you have up there, i tink removing it takes
away the character of a veedub :eek:h:
but wee all know what opinions are like :lol:

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
There's a big difference between learning to weld and learning to perform professional looking body work. Filling a tiny hole like that probably wouldn't involve welding at all. Not to say you can't learn to do both, but it could be an expensive experience.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
make sure that you practice on a similar piece with a hole first, to make sure you can do it.

on another note, i wonder why they have the external antenna at all if it's embedded into the rear window. my old car had the antenna embedded into the rear window, and it didn't have an external antenna.

·
Registered
60 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
make sure that you practice on a similar piece with a hole first, to make sure you can do it.

on another note, i wonder why they have the external antenna at all if it's embedded into the rear window. my old car had the antenna embedded into the rear window, and it didn't have an external antenna.
Probably has something to do with the economics of producing body pannels. Since most Passats need the hole for the antenna it's probablly cheaper to make all of the roof panels with the hole. The antenna looks better plugging the hole than a plastic plug would.

Just a theory. Of course it could be something completely different! 8)

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
i like the antenna on the roof... even way back in the day when i had a non 16V Jetta, i had the FUBA antenna added just cause i thought it made the car look "cooler"...

and i still find that i like the antenna on the roof look today... albeit, not as long as they come from the factory... :crazy:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
nelamvr6 said:
D.Passat00 said:

Probably has something to do with the economics of producing body pannels. Since most Passats need the hole for the antenna it's probablly cheaper to make all of the roof panels with the hole. The antenna looks better plugging the hole than a plastic plug would.

Just a theory. Of course it could be something completely different! 8)
yeah, but if it's not needed, then why add an antenna and base that's useless? i'm assuming that they punch the hole out of the sheet metal for the roof. alls they have to do is to skip that for the w8. of course, since they don't make that many w8's, it probably is cheaper for them to keep the same roof for all Passats.

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
i dont care much for the vw style antenna.

but it's a mod that may take a bit of time and effort and be easily overlooked.

just my thoughts. btw your car looks shweeet. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Now everyone is going to want a W8 rear window so they can get rid of those 'stubby' antennas that don't work well! :crazy: :lol:

I think it's a great idea if done properly!
Just make sure you don't want to add a Navigation system! I think those Nav-system antennas look pretty cool too! It'd be a pity to do all that work and then have to drill a hole if you changed your mind!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah on the welding thing. Welding generates incredibly high temperatures. That would likely warp any and all paint within 6 inches of the surface you were welding on. The heat from welding the roof could cause the interior headliner to catch fire if you don't pull it away first.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
citispot said:
Yeah on the welding thing. Welding generates incredibly high temperatures. That would likely warp any and all paint within 6 inches of the surface you were welding on. The heat from welding the roof could cause the interior headliner to catch fire if you don't pull it away first.
what about the low heat bronze, or copper, i believe, welding that is used not to warp aluminum when welding. it is also used on some indy style race cars so that the weaker weld brakes away in a crash and saves the frame which is harder to fix. but for the roof, in an area where there is no need for support, im assuming this weld would be okay. also, i would have to paint that area anyway so over spray would happen to bled the two colors, so sanding down any imperfections is possible before painting

·
Registered
249 Posts
That would probably be better. I was more referring to arc welding. I have never mig or tig welded, but it sounds like you are referring to oxyacetelene welding. I have done plenty of that. I'm sure that would work just fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.