Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Blue 2020 Passat
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I published this in the geographic forum, too. Admins/mods - please remove the one in the wrong place.)

When I joined the site, I lived in Florida and has just purchased new a 2020 Passat SEL. I'm not a complete newbie to winter weather (I spent the first 54 years of my life in MN and WI before ten years in Florida), but I have winter driving questions:
  • Is it better to have a set of winter tires that I change over to in the fall?
  • Is it better to have all-season tires?
  • Are the Giti tires I currently have going to work well/OK/poorly in the winter?
The information I gathered from the tires:
  • Treadwear 700
  • Traction A
  • Temperature A
  • I have 18-inch rims
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,157 Posts
Both places are fine. Dedicated snow tires will always outperform all season tires in winter snow/ice. It's a personal choice on if you want to maintain two sets of tires so you can be safer in the winter. If you have the luxury of being able to just stay home in crappy weather, all seasons would probably be just fine.

·
Registered
Blue 2020 Passat
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Urlik - thanks for the response.

If you have the luxury of being able to just stay home in crappy weather
That's a definite possibility. My wife has a Honda CR-V with AWD. I work from home. We have already been talking about how to avoid the snow when we can.

I don't know anything about my Giti tires, except what's on the sidewalls. I have been assuming they aren't all-season tires because I bought the car in Florida. Is that assumption accurate?

·
Super Moderator
14,157 Posts
Looking at Giti's web site, the Giti Comfort tire is an all season tire.

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
The Giti tires are decent in snow when new, but they get worse as they wear. We have about 14K on ours, but also have 4wd and may not see snow this year. If you need to drive your car in it, I would get snows for the long winters you have.

·
Super Moderator
14,157 Posts
@PZ - thanks. Either that or trade the Passat in on an Arteon AWD.
Just be aware that a front wheel drive car on dedicated snow tires will normally outperform a AWD car on all season tires. Dedicated snow tires are that much better than all seasons in snow and ice.

Reactions: OldGnome

·
Registered
Blue 2020 Passat
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just be aware that a front wheel drive car on dedicated snow tires will normally outperform a AWD car on all season tires. Dedicated snow tires are that much better than all seasons in snow and ice.
Thank you. That's very helpful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts