Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I had been thinking about this car since I saw it at the NY Auto Show a few months ago. Well, this past Monday my wife and I played hookie and decided to go test drive it. My wife was in love with the car until we got to the dealer. The plan was to get rid of her Civic (reliable as hell but she totally hates the way it drives). We get to the dealer, walk around, sit in a nicely equipped Cooper S, she tries the back seat and she does not want to know about this car anymore. I said what the hell, I wanted to at least test drive it. A salesperson aproaches us asked us if we wanted to test drive and I said hell yeah. We get in the car, he is taking it out and he tells me I can drive it back. He asked what kind of drivers we are, we said middle of the road but to go ahead and show us what the car can do. He floors it to catch up with traffic and I said not bad, feels as fast as my chipped Passat. The car rides nice enough for such a small car I say out loud. Next thing I know we are making a U turn to get on the other side of the highway, the turn was very sharp, there is a sign that says the speed limit is 30 mph. He floors it and all I could think is damn we are going to hit the wall, I look at the speedo and it reads past 70 mph. The car felt like it was glued to the road. I know my wife wanted to kill this guy. I have taken this turn in my Passat many times before but with the stock suspension I would never even dare try to go that fast. Later on I found out he races his Corvette and a couple of motorcycles, this explains why he was so confident driving the Mini. He then gets off the highway and lets me drive it. The car fit like a glove. I did not drive it long enough to get a real feel for it but I was impressed nonetheless. The six speed was sweet with very short throws, clutch engaged at the bottom not at the top like our Passats, power was linear, braking was amazing. Of course when we got back to the dealer the salesguy tried to get me to order one right away. It was hard to walk away, I am an impulse buyer so I had to get a hold of my impulses and do the adult thing. I have one year of payments left in my Passat, maybe just maybe I will go back and get it and maybe my wife will learn to drive stick, oh the world will be a perfect place!

<![CDATA[Hi,
I had been thinking about this car since I saw it at the NY Auto Show a few months ago. Well, this past Monday my wife and I played hookie and decided to go test drive it. My wife was in love with the car until we got to the dealer. The plan was to get rid of her Civic (reliable as hell but she totally hates the way it drives). We get to the dealer, walk around, sit in a nicely equipped Cooper S, she tries the back seat and she does not want to know about this car anymore. I said what the hell, I wanted to at least test drive it. A salesperson aproaches us asked us if we wanted to test drive and I said hell yeah. We get in the car, he is taking it out and he tells me I can drive it back. He asked what kind of drivers we are, we said middle of the road but to go ahead and show us what the car can do. He floors it to catch up with traffic and I said not bad, feels as fast as my chipped Passat. The car rides nice enough for such a small car I say out loud. Next thing I know we are making a U turn to get on the other side of the highway, the turn was very sharp, there is a sign that says the speed limit is 30 mph. He floors it and all I could think is damn we are going to hit the wall, I look at the speedo and it reads past 70 mph. The car felt like it was glued to the road. I know my wife wanted to kill this guy. I have taken this turn in my Passat many times before but with the stock suspension I would never even dare try to go that fast. Later on I found out he races his Corvette and a couple of motorcycles, this explains why he was so confident driving the Mini. He then gets off the highway and lets me drive it. The car fit like a glove. I did not drive it long enough to get a real feel for it but I was impressed nonetheless. The six speed was sweet with very short throws, clutch engaged at the bottom not at the top like our Passats, power was linear, braking was amazing. Of course when we got back to the dealer the salesguy tried to get me to order one right away. It was hard to walk away, I am an impulse buyer so I had to get a hold of my impulses and do the adult thing. I have one year of payments left in my Passat, maybe just maybe I will go back and get it and maybe my wife will learn to drive stick, oh the world will be a perfect place!

[Modified by jnjpcar, 7:12 PM 8/22/2002]

·
Registered
318 Posts
Re: New Mini Cooper S rules(long) (jnjpcar)

good to hear this because my aunt ordered one a while ago and it should come in anytime. Once she breaks it in she is letting me take it out for a while.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Re: New Mini Cooper S rules(long) (pat8931)

My brother's Mini will be here at teh end of October. Its not the "S" modle but we've already sat down at the drawing board. I've also contacted a few shops about some one-off peices & mods that will sure to give the S a run for its money. Can't wait to take her out!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Re: New Mini Cooper S rules(long) (BoeserBlick)

I was lucky, the salesman let me test a new Cooper S. I flogged pretty hard....I don't however think the salesman was thrilled about it when we returned to the dealership

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: New Mini Cooper S rules(long) (BoeserBlick)

I forgot to mention that I were to order it now we are looking for a four to six month delivery. Also the great thing is that you can option it like no other car. I went to their site and I built a Cooper S and it came to 22k and change. I guess if I were to get it the first mods I would perform would be a computer upgrade, exhaust (even though stock sounds pretty good) and seats, in that order. I have found a lot of products for this car in my searches. I would keep my Passat though, I love its roominess and I have too many mods done to it to get rid of it. It would be cool to have a turbo and a supercharged car. It is all about forced induction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts