Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this something that we could put together to answer questions like:

what is a b5 and b5.5?
What is a variant?
what are the trims?
what is the bolt pattern?
What manufacturers have body kits?
Introducing them to the info section?

There are lots of posts that are repeated, sometimes 5-6 times a day...a section of the forums devoted to having these answers readily available would be hugely helpful for new members...AND probably also cut down on the number of redundant threads that clog up the forum database.

Supply your question and your answer... and then we can combine them into an introductory thread....most forums have something like this and maybe it's time we started one too?

just my 2 cents

This link will be updated every 24 hours:

updated: http://b5.elitedubs.com/passat_faq/passatfaq.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,468 Posts
Are the search functions working? In Honda-tech, (search function works pretty well there), noob questions usually just get ignored or flamed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,047 Posts
What is the Factory Boost Pressure? answer: 6-7 psi / 9 psi spike (correct?)
- Rear Sway Bar = reduced rear body roll and less understeer
- Front Sway Bar = less front body roll and slight increase in understeer
- B5's .5's come with factory Cold Air Intakes (technically)
- 0.8/1/1.1 BAR Upgraded ECU's (chips) refer to the amount of boost added. 1 BAR is 14.7psi of boost, and 0.8 is around 12psi, 1.1 is 16psi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,047 Posts
hockey345 said:
ok ill go first, the lug pattern is 5x112 on B5's and B5.5's.
with a 35mm offset on most OEM wheels
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ronaldmcdonald said:
Are the search functions working? In Honda-tech, (search function works pretty well there), noob questions usually just get ignored or flamed.
the search function isn't very intuitive, you have to have a pretty good idea of what you're searching and even then, it's not all that easy. It seems most people either give up on the search.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Since I just asked like 1/2 of those questions an hour ago, I would suggest putting a "Common Questions about Passats" in the Information Forum. I find the "search" option on this site rather strange. Either I totally don't understand how to work it, or it's just not user friendly. I typed in "W8" and got back nothing. I typed in "B5" and got nothing.

And, I can say, being new to Passats and this site, I had a hard time finding the answers to any of those questions, and they were all things I wanted to know. I'm pretty familiar with car forums and I had to resort to a re-post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
That's a great Idea... include stuff like what are: "GTG, ECU,CEL" ... you know abreviated stuff! WAY TO BE A LEADER Julian!! :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,047 Posts
dridge11 said:
Since I just asked like 1/2 of those questions an hour ago, I would suggest putting a "Common Questions about Passats" in the Information Forum. I find the "search" option on this site rather strange. Either I totally don't understand how to work it, or it's just not user friendly. I typed in "W8" and got back nothing. I typed in "B5" and got nothing.
I don't think that the search does things under three letters. I remember i searched 'FK', and nothing came up. Try a more detailed search.

-merk20vt-
 

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
Joined
·
4,974 Posts
Juilain one of the detailing forums I participate in has a button at the top of the page called "Learn" and something like this could be linked to a moderator editable information page. Same idea as the "How to" forum. I think it would be great as long as it didn't get filled repetitive misinformation. Could be like a B5 / B5.5 FAQ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a good idea. For the time being, I'm going to copy questions and answers here and post them up on this link: http://www.a-listproductions.com/djjewelz/passat/passatfaq.txt

I will update the txt file as often as I can, but I'll mainly pull the info from this link, if I see little pieces of helpful information as i surf around, then I'll post it up.

Post here with your Q and A
your helpful links
or PM me.
 

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
Joined
·
4,974 Posts
julianfang said:
That's a good idea. For the time being, I'm going to copy questions and answers here and post them up on this link: http://www.a-listproductions.com/djjewelz/passat/passatfaq.txt

I will update the txt file as often as I can, but I'll mainly pull the info from this link, if I see little pieces of helpful information as i surf around, then I'll post it up.

Post here with your Q and A
your helpful links
or PM me.
Awesome Julian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,430 Posts
Jesstzn said:
julianfang said:
That's a good idea. For the time being, I'm going to copy questions and answers here and post them up on this link: http://www.a-listproductions.com/djjewelz/passat/passatfaq.txt

I will update the txt file as often as I can, but I'll mainly pull the info from this link, if I see little pieces of helpful information as i surf around, then I'll post it up.

Post here with your Q and A
your helpful links
or PM me.
Awesome Julian
:roll: :roll:
Thats it Julian is Honorary B5 of the YR
:roll: :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,873 Posts
merk20VT said:
hockey345 said:
ok ill go first, the lug pattern is 5x112 on B5's and B5.5's.
with a 35mm offset on most OEM wheels
Sorry - OEM wheels on B5 = 45mm / B5.5 = 37mm / W8 B5.5 = 45mm (I believe for the Atlanta wheels as well but definitely the Madras).

Yes great idea and yes the search should do less than 3 or 4 letters - I had a hell of a time looking for FK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
Re: New members introductory guide to Passats and Clubb5

julianfang said:
is this something that we could put together to answer questions like:

what is a b5 and b5.5?
What is a variant?
what are the trims?
what is the bolt pattern?
What manufacturers have body kits?
Introducing them to the info section?

There are lots of posts that are repeated, sometimes 5-6 times a day...a section of the forums devoted to having these answers readily available would be hugely helpful for new members...AND probably also cut down on the number of redundant threads that clog up the forum database.

Supply your question and your answer... and then we can combine them into an introductory thread....most forums have something like this and maybe it's time we started one too?

just my 2 cents

This link will be updated every 24 hours: http://www.a-listproductions.com/djjewelz/passat/passatfaq.txt
Sounds like a great idea. Search is fun, but if all my questions can be answered in one post. Right on.... :thumbup:

I have a few questions that need to be answered, maybe you can answer them and then put them your thread. :bow:

1. 6th Switch: How do I wire up the interior lights?
2. Where can I get a Euro Hatch for a B5.5 Wagon??? (or euro parts in general)


But the most helpful post, especially for a Newbie is this one:
What are one of your 1st Mods, when you got your car?

It was a good starting point for most of my mods.

One thing I have notice, when someone post "What manufacturers have body kits?"... most of you reply with a link to a German website with no english. Granted it's a bad ass website and being a webdeveloper I can translate the information through bablefish.
But people really need to take there time and reply with some usefull information. I think the more information displayed the easier it is for us Newbies to search and find them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,525 Posts
RL331 said:
merk20VT said:
hockey345 said:
ok ill go first, the lug pattern is 5x112 on B5's and B5.5's.
with a 35mm offset on most OEM wheels
Sorry - OEM wheels on B5 = 45mm / B5.5 = 37mm / W8 B5.5 = 45mm (I believe for the Atlanta wheels as well but definitely the Madras).

Yes great idea and yes the search should do less than 3 or 4 letters - I had a hell of a time looking for FK.
my wheels- VW Zender Charlestons - available from VW- for B5 are 35mm
most other wheels for B5 are 35mm.
GREAT LINK:
http://www.water-werks.com/links.html
there was a thread around here that had all the acronyms that we use, sort of a newbie thread. thought it was in suggestions or info forum, cant find it.
 

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
Joined
·
4,974 Posts
Some new some not

Here are some less known figures regarding the B5.5 Passat.

Electrical:
Bulb sizes and wattages:
Low beam headlight (non-HID): H7 @ 55w
High beam headlight: H7 @ 55w
Foglight: H3 @ 55w
City light: W5W @ 5w


Wheel and Tire:
Bolt pattern: 5x112
Offset (stock): 37mm
~55mm OE VW center cap part number: 6N0 601 171/BXF
~62mm OE VW center cap part number: 7D0 601 165


Decode the VIN



http://web.njit.edu/~rxp0835/b5/vin.php
 
1 - 20 of 194 Posts
Top