Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
passaturbonium said:
Audi A4 will be very tough to beat as in the design, quality and looks.
And very easy to beat when it comes to value and performance.

The new A4 is a nice car, but dynamically it is not noticably better than the previous generation and the price has went up quite a bit (admittedly so has feature content, but not enough to offset the price increase IMHO).

The new Legacy looks nice. I really like the interior and according to Subaru it does 0-60 quicker than a 350Z! I can't wait to drive one. The Legacy or new TL will be my next car. (Sorry VW/Audi, but you're lagging behind the competition)

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
jwaters943 said:
passaturbonium said:
Audi A4 will be very tough to beat as in the design, quality and looks.
And very easy to beat when it comes to value and performance.

The new A4 is a nice car, but dynamically it is not noticably better than the previous generation and the price has went up quite a bit (admittedly so has feature content, but not enough to offset the price increase IMHO).

The new Legacy looks nice. I really like the interior and according to Subaru it does 0-60 quicker than a 350Z! I can't wait to drive one. The Legacy or new TL will be my next car. (Sorry VW/Audi, but you're lagging behind the competition)
Well, Audi thinks there competition is BMW and Mercedes, so they are priced jsut fine.

Here in the real world, a sub 7 second AWD semi-luxury sedan with a rally heritage for less money is TOO tempting. The Subaru will be some serious competition for the A4 and even the A6.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
If I had $50k burning a hole in my pocket, I'd buy a new Audi S4 - no questions asked.

But I'm on a budget, so I have to say the Legacy GT. Where else can you get that combination of utility and performance for that price?

AWD + 250hp + sporty stuff (seats, suspension, wheels) + 0-60 in under 6 secs :shock:

um... I'm sold. I'll take a black wagon please.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I would go with a 2004 Audi A4 Avant in black, ANY A4 prior to the 2005 facelift. I'll have to see the Legacy in person and drive it before considering it as an option.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
That's really hard to say. I think I would only consider the Legacy if I could afford the Legacy Turbo (early to mid 30k range). That's the only worthwhile Legacy imo. Otherwise if I had some $26k-ish to blow, I'd take the A41.8tQM. For the money, and w/ a chip, I think it's diff to find a nicer entry level luxury sedan w/ a moderate amount of aftermarket potential. It's also one of the best looking cars out there imo.

However, if I could afford a turbo legacy I think I'd pick that instead. You're getting a very nice car w/ performace levels of the S4 at 2/3 the price, w/ the added utility of extra room (looks like the Legacy is roomier than the A4), without the added weight (3250ish lbs?). It's also one of the few hi-po cars that come in a wagon, which I particularly fancy. In some ways, I see it as the poor man's 'A6 2.7t' (prob w/ better reliability). The only thing I don't like about the Legacy w/ auto trannies is that the gearing is a bit too high imo. I imagine it's going to be a lot slower than w/ the stick.

So, if I can't afford a turbo legacy I'd pick a stripped A4 1.8tQM. If I can afford a turbo legacy, I'd get one (pref a stick wagon though).

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Okay, check this out. For those of you that know me, this'll just blow your mind.

I'd take the A4 in a heartbeat over the Subie. I have driven the A4 enough to know it serves my needs just fine, thanks. The current A4's is one of those cars that is going to look fantastic forever, mark my words.

The current A4 is just a FRIGGING GORGEOUS car. Nevermind its German Engineered problems.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Yeah if you're priorites are looks alone (which I think is cool, chick magnets are nice things to own imo), it's difficult to beat the Audi lineup. I agree it's a gorgeous looking car. :)

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
yep, the audis and VWs are gorgeous inside and out. But the performance/reliability to $$$ ratio of the subies cannot be ignored.

Actually I'm fine with the new legacy styling (inside and out, they really went all out cleaning up the ugliness of that car)... its just not as um... sexy as the audis.

And more realistically to me is the WRX vs new 1.8T GLI comparison. The styling and 'feel' of the GLI is wonderful, but again, more power and grip for less money cannot be ignored.

BTW, i'm not looking for a "chick magnet" - I want a ME magnet, you know, the kind of car that makes you want to make that extra run to the grocery store to pick up something you forgot!!

·
Rogue Assassin
2,977 Posts
Like so many of us, I'm a sucker for a pretty face (and a slick interior), so I'd have to see the new Legacy in person before I'd consider it. For as long as they've been around, Subarus have been ugly to nondescript on the outside and plasticky and cheap-looking on the inside. No amount of promo-photos will convince me otherwise. Gotta see it to believe its interior could even touch VW/Audi products in visual and tactile quality.

But if it does, I'd have to consider it very seriously.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Anybody know how much a Legacy GT is going to sell for? AWD + 250hp + sporty stuff (seats, suspension, wheels) + 0-60 in under 6 secs is EXACTLY what I'm looking for and the Audi that meets those specs is a bit on the pricey side for me...and I like Subies...

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Sharky said:
Okay, check this out. For those of you that know me, this'll just blow your mind.

I'd take the A4 in a heartbeat over the Subie. I have driven the A4 enough to know it serves my needs just fine, thanks. The current A4's is one of those cars that is going to look fantastic forever, mark my words.

The current A4 is just a FRIGGING GORGEOUS car. Nevermind its German Engineered problems.
You did NOT just write that! ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts