Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I just picked up a new sony vaio fs830 and I'm confused. There was no os disc (or any discs whatsoever) in the box.

So what happens if I have a crash? Hell usually I do a fresh reload of the os right off the bat anyway with new computers to get rid of all the extra bs they preload anyway...

Me confused....??

·
Registered
769 Posts
i am very sorry for you
i love purple so in my stupidity i bought a purple sony viao in 2002. worst laptop purchase ever - there is a reboot IN it
its called "recovery wizard" or some hocus pocus crap and its always taking up a secret 4/5 GB partition!

if you read the crappy book that came with ur new bad child you will see they ask you to burn off the partition! i was so pissed that after 2k they want me to make some slave cdroms and clean off the partition to gain space.
so if you call the 1800 they will tell ur lazy arse to get to cracking but make it seem like you are soooo lucky to be able to burn off your own reboot. i suggest if you can ...return it and get a ibm thinkpad (unless you got it for looks in which case enjoy ). :smile:

·
Registered
769 Posts
ps: if you call them remind them or me - i am filed in their complaints as "angry chicago college girl of 2002"
also let them know in their saving $5 on ripping cds they are still making me VERY angry

Ganesha..we posted at the same time...ys there is a hidden on all vaios.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where is this hidden partition you speak of? dont see it in explorer?

know how to get to the bios on one of these units?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I dont really remember to be honest...im sorry :(
its been 4 years and i have learned other useless crap since then! but maybe try hitting f2 when osystem is loading (@ the sony logo)- it should go to advanced setup and then you call sony for a walk through. There should be a jumper cd atleast ...i mean you need to put the cd in when ur booting so the computer knows to load data off the partition. (edit: unles when you press advanced there is a reboot option directly?!)

btw it doesnt matter to take it off that 5gb will sadly never be yours until its partitioned - it loaded as a useless "D" drive for me and i never understood that crap.

try calling them for a walk through!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Its called a hidden partition for a reason. You can't see it so you can't remove it. It's similar to a Dell's service partition where you type "zztop" to access the recovery partition. You boot to a safe mode command prompt and type a command to access the hidden partition. However its a Sony so it will be different. You will need to call their tech support.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
From Sony's web page:

Knowledge Article C342190 said:
How to purchase recovery CD/DVDs for computer products.

Recovery CD/DVDs are available directly from the Sony Direct Accessories and Parts Center.

The Sony Direct Accessories and Parts Center can be contacted by the following methods:

Internet: http://servicesales.sel.sony.com
Phone: (800) 488-7669

NOTE: The telephone hours for the Sony Direct Accessories and Parts Center are:

Monday through Friday 7:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M. Central Standard Time
Saturday 8:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. Central Standard Time
Sunday 11:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Central Standard Time

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good gawd they could they have made it a little more contrived? no evedence of my model at the 'recovery cd' $12-40 add on area of the website...

wow.... this is a new level of os wackness...

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
WOW, they have 36 pages of recovery CDs/DVDs with pricing going from $12 - $60 with a search that doesn't help you find the one you need at all!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Urlik said:
WOW, they have 36 pages of recovery CDs/DVDs with pricing going from $12 - $60 with a search that doesn't help you find the one you need at all!
BINGO! whisky tango foxtrot...

·
Registered
769 Posts
so who else is on hold? sometimes i call just to complain and i have no problems with letting them know i have 2lbs of chocolates and the whole afternoon to do this..jk...kindof.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
Remember, this is the same company that put the rootkits on music CDs as "copy protection." I wonder what happens if you try to play a Sony CD on a Sony laptop?

Are the Thinkpad's still IBM or are they called Lenovos now?

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Harvey Wallbanger said:
Remember, this is the same company that put the rootkits on music CDs as "copy protection." I wonder what happens if you try to play a Sony CD on a Sony laptop?

Are the Thinkpad's still IBM or are they called Lenovos now?
I just did an MBA paper on the Lenovo/IBM purchase and noticed in the newest PC Magazine that they are reviewing a new Lenovo desktop but the IBM brand is on the box. Looks like Lenovo is working on getting their brand associated with the product well for when they have to stop using the IBM name in 4 years. I suspect they are trying to get reviewers to use both names so that Lenovo becomes associated with IBM and will eventually stand alone as a recognized brand. (I don't know if the purchased the ThinkPad brand or only have use of it for 5 years also)

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah... finally figured it out...there is a recovery utility that alows you to burn recovery cds/dvds.

Buying them must be for the saps that never do this and have a crash.

sort of contrived but, o well...

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Dell does that too now.

My wife's new laptop came with no CDs for recovery. Just an app CD that I can't recall which app, but not none that was used by us LOL.

A little cardboard CD said what to do in case of crash. Sounds kinda like the Sony route. Very weak sauze indeed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts