Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just soliciting a little advice here.

What I want in a second car is this:

1. Something under about $12k
2. Very fun to drive
3. For weekend/limited use only (keep the miles down)
4. Something that will depreciate very little (i.e. -- is at the smooth end of the depreciation curve)
5. Not a nightmare to maintain while only driving 5k miles/year.

That said, I keep coming back to the 944 turbo. A friend of mine used to have an '86 model, and that was his daily driver. I might be leaning toward an '88 Turbo S, or maybe an '89/'90 Turbo (without the "S").

I've toyed with the idea of a 2000+ TDI something (with tuning plans), but those risk the depreciation I want to avoid.

I've cruised several 944 sites, but a lot of their owners tend to view the world through rose-colored glasses (maybe tinted with a lot of green, if you catch my drift). I'm hoping to get some second opinions... Thanks!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Too expensive to maintain. Stay away from the 944 turbo unless you're willing to spend the money and wrench on it. If you know the history of the car and the previoes owner, maybe okay.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
ahh.. ahhh... ahhhhchoooooo

Get a 911 if you want an investment sportscar for stress-free weekend pleasure cruising. Get a 951 if you want a German sportscar with incredible performance on a budget and can turn your own wrenches. Get a 952 (S/89) if you're a collector with money to burn.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
FWIW, there's someone local who autocrosses his 951 with 300k miles on it. :shock: Never did any rebuilds either, as far as I know. It can be reliable...its just how reliable you want to make it. :wink:

Turbo Miatas are calling your name. :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a '88 2.7L 944 - It's a race car but my decision to go with that model vs a turbo also came down to maintenance cost. The turbo is a blast to drive but you will pay when it does break...

Very few maintenance issues with mine in 2 years of track use. Main weakpoints can be the front control arms - they will fail even with a street car prematurely. Engine rebuilds can be anywhere from $2-4K (turbo or normally aspirated) Having said that the n/a's just don't break much if you take care of them.

928's are fun but also can be very expensive to maintain. You might want to look into a 3.0 S2 or a 911SC or Carrera (any year). If you can call ANY Porsche economical, it's those two :wink: Good Luck and let us know what you get!

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
NoneRock said:
Look into 97-98 Porsche 928 S4

You can probably score one at about your target price.

An 8 cyl. Porsche...sounds like fun to me.
my recollection is that the 8-cylinders were much worse maintenance-wise than the 944s. good luck finding a 928 s4 for a reasonable price that hasn't been piss-pounded!

i just started subscribing to excellence magazine and the april 2004 issue has a market update on the 924/944/968 cars. Early 944 turbo coupes are in the 12500 range. Oh...and have you heard about the power you can make out of that motor?? 450hp i hear with one of the autothority or powerhaus kits. the late turbo 944s are awesome though and great looking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts