Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 Vw Jetta 2.0l Gasoline:

Hello, I just got this Jetta in a trade, it ran fine when I got it a month ago, Let me tell you I fell in love with this little car, so sporty, the 5 speed is great, reverse is a little odd. I once had a Peugeot, I loved it, I was instantly a European car lover. Now this Jetta has brought back the fun of driving to me. With this said you will understand my horror when it started to have trouble starting when the engine was cold, like 40 or 50f. That didnt last long before it barely started, i had my foot to the floor and it would finally start, the last time it started it popped a white cloud of smoke out from the air intake i believe. Then it started and the smoke came out the heater duct inside. Well I only ran it 1/4 mile or less and shut it off at home. The next day i wanted to fix the problem, I found small hoses to the fuel regulator were done for, replaced, the oil breather pipe had a hole and was putting oil all over the air box that was partly opened, i fixed those problems. I cleaned maf with approved spray, I cleaned throttle body that was very dirty, The distributor cap electrodes inside had grooves cut across three of them and the rotor was worn on one side more then the other, i checked for play on the distributor shaft and all i got was a small up and down play which i believe is normal. No side to side. Got a new cap and rotor. Replaced fuel relay, there was a code for it, broke #1 plug wire, replaced, had a misfire code from wire I believe, reset codes, no codes pop up now. At first i had no pressure when attempting to remove fuel pressure regulator, now with relay, there is, but my spark was orange coming out coil wire, I checked ohms on coil and it was out of spec, also casing cracked replaced coil. Still orange spark. I also cleaned off a lot of acid from battery cable and even put in a better battery, checked the fuses for engine controls and fuel, im smelling a lot of fuel, also the #1 plug had a gap of .050, i gaped it to 25. It smelled like gas. The throttle body make strange buzzing when key is on? Any help would be great, I would like to get this running and maybe rebuild and mod some in the future. This has 205,000 miles.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts