Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello People,

I have the 3-in-1 monsoon unit and to be honest, I'm not too impressed with it. I had an 03 galant as a loaner about a month ago and the factory Hu that came with it made my CD's sound better than the monsoon unit.
What I would like to find is a replacement unit that fits the space as is. I would rather not go to a smaller unit, can anyone help?

CB

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
crutchfield.com has a few options.

BUT....I think its the Monsoon amp is the problem.

I thought the same, so I took out the monsoon amp and added a couple aftermarkets... then I swapped out the speakers.

I think its your Monsoon amp...Im sure others can clarify or correct me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Antho is right. The Monsoon amp blows... Replaced mine with a Kenwood KAC-943 (left original radio in place). I'm no audiophile but the difference is as night and day.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok,

Allow me to clarify what I mean by the "details" of the music being lost in the monsoon player. In my old eclipse (Non-infinity) I would play something like the opening theme from Star Wars and you could hear EVERYTHING. The bells, cymballs, french horns, string section, etc. With the monsoon the same CD was more "muddled" accent on the bass along with the blaring of the trumpets and that's about it.

I guess what I'm looking for before I spend a Sh$tload of cash on a new amp, is weather or not the amp is the problem and if so, what should I be looking for in an amp. I just got off crutchfields site and they wanted to know if I was looking for 2 channel, multi-channel. Help!!! :nervous:

CB

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
With your stock speakers a aftermarket 4 ch would be the one, with about 50x4 watts clean. The weird thing about the Monsoon stock speakers is that the rear 6inch is actually 2-Ohms if I remember correctly, and I dont know how that would play into effect...more importantly you will need cross overs for the stock tweeters and mids. Since a 4 ch will not filter your tweeters in the front from your mids, and the same for the rear.

The way your new amp will output sound might be less boomy. As you mentioned and I felt the same is that the Monsoon is strong on the lows, and muddled on the highs. So you might lack a bit on the low end. If you filter/cross-over the rear mids and tweets different than the front(more mid high) you might achieve the lows from the rear 6" "woofers" and still feed the tweeters the highs.

4Ch amp, if you shop around can be had for about $150-200

BUT...after doing all this work you might want to get new speakers for another $200 and do it all at once.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
AnthroSSAT
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing