Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post at this forum... i have a 2002 Passat V6 and I'm planning on modding the engine very soon.

So far, the only mod i have is a hardwired Valentine One radar detector. (not one ticket yet) 8)

I have a few newbie questions.. first, is there a chip currently available for the V6 passat? I saw that GIAC is making one, but its not available yet.
My second question is what is faster, an APR chipped Passat 1.8T or stock V6? What about a chipped V6?

oh and one more thing... if you have a 2001.5-2002 V6, could you plz post your engine mods? id appreciate it... thanks!

Great lookin forum btw! :D

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Welcome to ClubB5!

The Valentine One is undeniably important for daily road survival - I've been privileged with using it.

A chipped V6 gives marginal increase in power of around only 10-15HP, as opposed to a ~40HP increase in a 1.8T. Most mods don't pose significant increase in power unless you're up for the PES Supercharger which goes for like USD$4k a pop.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd probably stay away from a supercharger... but a chip could always be helpful to me. Maybe not for the HP but the top speed governor removal... gotta see what this car can do! Anyone know the V6 top speed? I'm fortuante enough to have miles of flat straight roads where i live. :eek:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'd rate the 1.8T faster once it's been chipped. There are so many mod's for the 1.8T compared to the v6. Do a search, this question has come up numerous times. The V6 in the Passat, you'll come to find, is a very dominated V6 compared to other car companies. It seems for family sedan's, Nissan/Infiniti seem to have the best V6. I'd love to be driving around in a 1.8T K04'd 5 speed manual :b5: Welcome to the club, and don't get discouraged. I have an Upsolute chip, with a K&N filter, and noticed the mid-range tourque increase immediately. I also have a high flow muffler, so that may have helped a little. Right now I'm working on two ceramic coated resonators to replace the stock resonator. I'm using two to run dual exhaust up until the high flow muffler, that is until I can find a dual in, dual out muffler. After, I plan to buy a lightened pulley, not underdrive though. Nenad says the power steering pump and alternator pulley don't make a difference, to just do the crank pulley. Short of a supercharger, those are the only mod's I have planned for the near future. If the flow of intake and exhaust are greatly improved, and the pulley adds great gains, I may switch to S4 2.7T injectors. HTH

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
As for top speed once the limiter is removed gets you into the 150s and higher. I know VWGUY4EVER hit 157 in his old V6.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Welcome,
For V6 you have:

Chip-GIAC,WETT,Upsolute
Intake-Evo,BMC (CDA 85-150) and various "drop-in" types
Crank Pulley (NOT underdriven),gain is simmilar to chip- Autospeedpreformance
P/S & alternator pulleys, not much gain, but newertheless- UnortodoxRacing
fuel pressure regulator works GOOD with big intakes like BMC-ECS

Snub mount- APR
strut bar- Racetek(feat. SPP )

drivetrain stabilizer bar- Autospeedperformance
front and rear sway bars-Autotech, Neuspeed,VW

sport suspension-Koni,Bilstein+Eibach,H&R
Coilovers- Bilstein,KW,Eibach,FK

big brakes kit on front-Brembo,Stoptech,RPI,ECS,AP Racing
rear brakes conversion- Bira.org
All this you can do on V6 to improve performance in pace and handeling. Probably I forgot something, but others will chim in.
:thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts