Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys my names bobby, and my friend jamie has a 02-03 passsat, 1.8, he has a CAI and a cheap 3a muffler on it now and im just helping him out looking online for the best partst for his passat. hes got about a $1000-$1500 budget, and we are looking for the best performance and best aestheics out of the car.

we just ordered, 8000k hid kit,

and trying to find the jetta gli 18" bbs wheels

would like to get a bov, although ive heard recirculation is what you want on a passat

and definetly going to end up with a 3" exhaust right from the turbo, just trying to find someone that will madrel bend an exhaust through the cat, no place around here will remove it.

anyways, so we are basically looking to throw about $1000+ at this car to make it faster and sound better, as well as look better, if done a litlle looking around, but basically we are on a budget here and we want a nice set of rims, good exhaust and a bov upgrade, and possibly ecu upgrade.

thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
If your budget is $1,000, you're going to be lucky to do a chip and the wheels.

A chip will give you the best bang for the buck on performance. Its probably what I would suggest before any other mod. Then suspension, then wheels, then body kit. Thats the direction I would take it. And no JDM crap on it. (But that's just me, I'm an old school purist I guess)

Welcome to PW.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Why do you want a BOV? What are you looking for it to do? If its just the uber cool noise factor, I'd put that lower on the list. You've got a limited budget, so stick to the mods that will make the most impact first. Come back later and do the little things.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
^^^^ What he said. Some of our members have had problems making BOVs work. They sometime throw CELs and I've even heard of BOV's causing "limp mode" on occasion. Other members haven't had any problems with them. I would search very carefully on BOVs. If you search on the User Name "B5BAR", you may find a write-up about how to make them work properly on these cars. I agree with LaTuFu that with your budget, I'd concentrate on performance and handling. But, to each his own. Have fun.

Kenny

·
Whats Up Doc
2,816 Posts
All of the above is correct... As for what you had brought up in your first post...chip exhaust, BBS rims you are already in the 3 grand area The mods are pretty expensive unless you have a line on some used parts..... at the same time ALWAYS look at QUALITY over QUANTITY.... It will save you lots of cash in the long run.... I would compile a list on what you want to do... such as coilovers/ Lowering springs, Types of exhausts,rims and tires, and your chip...research out the diffrent brands, the costs and what you are trying to achieve in the end...then have at it... I would also like to recomend that both you and your friend get about 2-3 jobs each....your gonna need the loot

Good luck with the car!!

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
You're NEVER going to find a set of BBS RCs and then put tires on them with the budget you have. The GLI RCs won't fit (wrong bolt pattern) so it's going to be considerably more expensive.

Skip the BOV. The noise isn't worth the headaches it's going to cause.

Please see if you can return the HID kit. First, the 8000K kit is WAY too blue and ricey and will put down less light than your OEM headlights and second, you have reflector housings which aren't designed for HIDs. Even the HID kits that say they work in reflector housings suck ass and will blind oncoming traffic and scatter light everywhere.

A 3" exhaust will work but it's going to be LOOOOUUUUUDDDDD. PM member D.Passat00 and ask Dan about his 3" exhaust.

Remove the CAI since unless it's one of the only 2 true CAIs that were ever made for the Passat you're actually losing power. The OEM intake is already a CAI anyway. If you MUST do something with the intake, search for the COAM.

With $1000 I would be looking at a chip and suspension which is easily doable, even with brand new parts, for under a grand.

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
You got a complete kit (new) to sell him for $1,000? If so, I'll take one, too. :thumbup:
You can get a K04 for less than $1000 online. Check ECS for example. No software.

I change my mind, get a chip, shorty antenna, tint, and a Forge 007 DV. Also pick up a 6 pack of Magic Hat #9.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,734 Posts
If you want the RCs, they are available in the 5x112 bolt pattern in a 42ET 17". They came on certain A6's a few years back or more. I have four but someone has dibs. they are out there.

·
The "Odd" one
6,068 Posts
Chip: 500
Audi TT Divertor Valve: 40
Upgraded vaccuum lines to handle extra boost: 20
Used Boost gauge from Passatworld: 50-70
Either Audi Sport wheels or B5 S4 wheels from audizine.com: You could get them for 400

Sitting on the side of the road with all these cool mods but a broken Timing Belt: PRICELESS!!!

How many miles on the car???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts