Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saying hello. Purchased a 2000 Passat gls 1.8t 5 speed. Black/black. I'm a big fan of auto forums, hopefully passatworld will meet my expectations, so far it seems like the place to be for a Passat owner. I plan on doing a few suspension upgrades, chip, exhaust, intake as well. Some other bits and peices along the way. May eventually do turbo upgrade(gt28rs), with fuel and clutch upgrades. My previous car was a 2000 Acura Integra Type R. Had full suspension, high compession pistons, jdm HID front end, and tons of other mods, I loved it!!! Needed to move along to something more practical as I'm getting older(well almost 31). Look foward to being here and learning, and hopefully helping when I can.

BTW, my first mod will be HID's, as I got a little spoiled with them on the R.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Welcome ..... sorry to here you down graded from a B18c5 to this :cry: ....
as you will find out parts for these cars are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more expensive then the R...... good luck ...Name of the father son and the holy sprit. :whistle:

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
HID is a great choice for a first mod. Since you have a 2000 ( :b5: ), you will need to purchase projector headlights first, then buy an HID kit (Id suggest McCulloch. You can find them on eBay for as low as $218 shipped).

Here is a thread for a set of very nice Projector headlights for your car, sold by one of our trusted members....
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228025

As far as your other planned mods go, it sounds good. Suspension is another good choice for an initial mod on a Passat, as well as chipping it (When you chip it, upgrade your diverter valve and replace vacuum lines with silicone ones). Exhaust can be done further down the road. Finally, intakes on 1.8T Passats are expensive and not worth it. You will see little to no gain (I actually think I lost hp when I did mine). The stock airbox is already a CAI, so it is a good choice. You can do a few mods to it, like the "COAM" mod... search for it, and you will find it.

Anyways, welcome to the club and enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
not true....you can use your existing headlight and buy a plug and play kit....
Really? I didnt know that! Well I own a :b55: so I was just basing it off of what I thought I had read. I thought if you put an HID kit on the stock headlights the beams would spray everywhere.

What does the plug-n-play adapter do then?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
yah, but don't halogens w/ aftermarket hids have crappy beam pattern b/c they dont have the correct projectors? i might be wrong.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually responded to a HID thread in the garage forum earlier reguarding hid's on reflector style headlights. True, projector style is best, but not by that much. There are two different types of HID bulbs, D2S for projector style, D2R for reflector style headlights, which cuts down on the beam breaking up all over the place. A good manufactue should haveboth styles in the bulb type for most applications(I=i.e. H7 or whatever bulb type you use). It seems to bea fairly common misconception that HID's can not be ha d in reflector style headlights, but it's all about the bulb you use.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW, I had the jdm front on the Type R, which have projectors(which looked awsome, and had great output, 4300k, I believe).

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Welcome to PassatWorld and let's see some pics :thumbup:. If you really get into your :b5:, this is the place to be for sure :thumbup:.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's 100% stock with tint right now, I plan on doing a new grill, wheels, shocks and springs in the next few months along with the HID's. I'll post pics of the progress along the way, I just got a new camera, so I'm anxious to snap some pics, it loks pretty bland right now. I'll post pics of the R if I can figure it out. I guess I need to use an image host or something.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

:confused: :confused: No Pics. You are correct, you need to host the immages somewhere. Photobucket is one site you can use and it's FREE.

Welcome to PW. Lesson 1 - Stay out of the Marketplace and the Classifieds, those forums will suck your wallet dry :p :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts