Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just put new brake pads on yesterday. Had the rotors turned. Everything seemed to go just right. But now when I go over bumps it sounds like the entire caliper/rotor assembly is clanking around.

The brakes work great, sound great…they are doing what they are suppose to do, I just don't know what the loud clanking noise is going over bumps. And by "bumps" I mean small bumps, not speed bump kind of things. I can hear it most when hitting the little lane divider bumps that are all over the roads. (I know, I know…just don't drive over the lane dividers) ;)

Another note…the noise doesn't happen when I'm braking; when I am pushing on the brakes, the noise goes away…I'm assuming because everything is being pushed into place by the piston (if that makes any sense).

I used the Haynes manual as a guide, but I've done a ton of brakes. I took the entire caliper off to do the job. Meaning, I didn't just take the spring and caliper pins out to change the pads, I took the entire caliper off so I could get the rotors turned. What have I done wrong?

UPDATED: 9/20/2010 - 2:21 PM PST

It seems when I did a search for this problem I used the wrong word. Had I searched for front brake "rattle" I would have found numerous threads relating to my problem. Surprising to me in all of this I didn't have someone scolding me for not doing a search before I posted. Interestingly enough, I found the threads by just doing a Google search.

From what I can tell, I either have worn out springs or the aftermarket pads I bought don't fit as snug as the OEM's and rattle around in the caliper. I hear a great deal about PBR, but I'm not sure I bought those or not. I got mine from Napa Auto Parts. Here is a link of what I purchased.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+2074011+26291

I'm betting it might be worth the extra $40 to purchase OEM pads from the dealer and take the other ones back. And while I'm there I might as well buy new springs as well????

What do you all think?????

·
Registered
26,994 Posts
It sounds like he removed the whole caliper carrier instead of the caliper. He probably had the rotors turned even though he said the calipers were.

I would start with checking the torque on the caliper carrier bolts. Then remove the pins, clean and re-lube. Then make sure the outer spring is installed properly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like he removed the whole caliper carrier instead of the caliper. He probably had the rotors turned even though he said the calipers were.

I would start with checking the torque on the caliper carrier bolts. Then remove the pins, clean and re-lube. Then make sure the outer spring is installed properly.
Everything is tightened down nice and snug. I double-checked it all when I discovered this noise.

What size allen-wrench is used for the caliper guide pins? I tried everything I had, metric and standard, and can't find the right fit. Is there a special allen wrench needed to loosen those guide pins?

Aside from that, the pins are lubed up and the caliper is sliding on them with no problem.

There is only one way the outer spring can be installed and they are in place. I checked those as well just to make sure.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
26,994 Posts
The allen end of the pin might be full of dirt. It uses a metric, but I can't remember what size.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The allen end of the pin might be full of dirt. It uses a metric, but I can't remember what size.
Nope, not full of dirt. Had the cover over them and they are clean as the day they were installed.

I'm betting they are metric as well, but ran through two sets of metric allen-wrenches and nothing fit.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The caliper bolts, on my 2002 1.8T, it was a TorX ( i think T-45). Just replaced both the pads to Pagid organic (54$), turned the rotors at Oreilly (15$ each) and lubed the caliper bolts with brake grease. So far the only problem is the grab sound at the end braking and i think the pads still needs to settle down for a bit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
1. Who on earth turns discs in 2010?

2. Check the anti-rattle spring

3. If anti-rattle spring is there on both calipers and it's properly installed, then replaced your pads.

Next time, buy NEW quality discs (zimmerman, jurid, brembo, ATE) and quality pads (Textar, TRW, Pagid) and you'll save yourself the trouble in the future.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Removing the inside pad and bending the spring clips on its backside to fit tighter into the caliper piston may help. That remedy worked for me, at least for awhile, eventually the rattle came back.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another Update

Just installed OEM Brake Pads from the dealer…no luck. Brakes work great, but still getting the loud rattle going over the bumps. And again, noise goes away once apply the brakes.

The only difference between the OEM pads and the ones I got from Napa is that the OEM outside pad had an adhesive backing for it to stick to the caliper. It's pretty chilly tonight, so maybe it will take the hot day tomorrow for that stuff to really set in and do its job…maybe not.

Everything fit nice and tight again. I can't mimic the noise with the wheel off due to the rotor not being bolted into place. Even the spring clips the previous post mentioned are tight. It took all I had to line it up and get it in the piston (that's what she said). Having spread them out further, I would have never been able to get the pad into place.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Funny, I just installed new pads and rotars on my 02 passat about a month ago and didn't think a thing of it until I saw this thread....

I hear the same noise coming from my front brakes. I installed cheap duralast pads and rotars by the book, the car brakes fine, but every now and then when I hit bumps big and small, they rattle.

So is this because I installed the crappy duralast pads/rotors?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So is this because I installed the crappy duralast pads/rotors?
I'm going to have to say, "No." I installed crappy OEM pads and they are rattling around. So I don't think it matters whether you have crappy duralast or crappy OEM...it's all just crappy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So other than the annoying noise, is there a potential driving danger?

I'm thinking there isn't, but I can't know for sure...I just don't have that kind of expertise. I asked the service guy while I was at the dealer yesterday getting the OEM pads and he said, "I'm not allowed to share any technical details with you." Typical dealer bad-service-attitude.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,023 Posts
did you put any kind of brake quiet on the back of the pads, especially the piston side?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts