Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else think that Ford has copied the Passat or am I the only one? I saw the pics of the new Ford 500 sedan and was a little disturbed. I don't want Ford having anything that resembles my car or any other V-Dub. Not a fan of Ford products though the Lincoln LS is pretty sweet.

Check out the link for picks:
http://thehollywoodextra.com/ford 500/500.html

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
This isn't even worth posting anymore. Don't you guys know? EVERYTHING on the market today is a copy of the Passat. :poke:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
This was a big topic when I first joined Clubb5, a year and a half ago. Ford wll start to make good cars when they make a better transmission, they have decent v6's, and their quality is alot better than it seems. I dont like some of their style however, the interior of the 500 needs some work.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
From "Sniff Petrol"....

FORD FIVE HUNDRED
A few years ago Ford used to sell thousands of Tauruses a year. Now it's trying to replace the once-good saloon with thousands of new models, including the new Five Hundred. Ford chief designer Janet Mays explained the reason behind the new car's name; 'It's because the design team looked at over 500 pictures of the Volkswagen Passat when they were creating the exterior style,' he revealed. 'Then I became a bit worried about the influence this was having so I hid all the pictures in a cupboard. So instead of simply copying from photographs, they had to do it from memory. Which is why it's a bit rubbish. Sorry'.

It was on the Internet, it must be true!

Edit - Oh, and IB4TL! :lol:

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Well since J Mays designed Passat when working for VAG, and then moved to Ford where he was major influence in designing the 500, I say the resemblance is not accidental.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I took only a quick glance of it at the Chicago Auto Show and I didn't think it looked like the Passat. The person I was with didn't think it looked like one either. But in all the photos I can see the resemblance.....weird... :crazy:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.