Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just landed a job as inside sales for my dads company , Focus Electrical Sales inc. it pays wuite well , full benefits pakg and in a few month i get a company car , gas card and expense account . i'm currrently three months away from being a college graduate so this is motivation at its greatest form, Best part is in 10 years i will be the CEO of the company when my dad retires. thers five employees and well be hiring a few in the next years so this is a lifetime job if i take care of it.

man i'm beyond excitment at this point, i wanted to share with you guys. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
:thumbup:
Congratulations, sounds like a great opportunity.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Congrats ... best way to climb up the corporate ladder is your dad owns that ladder :wink: . Nothing wrong with that, I would do the same if I were in your dad's shoes ... look at the Waltons (as in Walmart).

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
As long as you aren't like Billy Madison :poke: I think you will be fine.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Really. If I were you, I would try to start as low as possible. Nothing beats knowing the company you will own one day from the bottom up. Try to spend 2-4 weeks working on each position until you know it by heart. Especially, you need to win over the purchasing person. Not only will you understand the problems, but you will win your co-workers' trust, instead of just being daddy's boy.

First thing I would do is give back the company car. Tell your dad you want to go without for a while. Expense account you do need, but car you can go without. Besides, you should be proud of your VW. :poke:

Congratulations. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
atomicalex said:
Really. If I were you, I would try to start as low as possible. Nothing beats knowing the company you will own one day from the bottom up. Try to spend 2-4 weeks working on each position until you know it by heart. Especially, you need to win over the purchasing person. Not only will you understand the problems, but you will win your co-workers' trust, instead of just being daddy's boy.

:
This is very true. My parents own their own business. Growing up, my parents made me work in the store but always with the shittiest part of the job... taking care of trash, inventory in the warehouse, delivery, cashier, etc. In order to be successful at your business, to earn the respect of your employees, and to truly understand the business, you should be prepared to do anyone's job at the company at any given moment. My parents always told me that if you couldnt do the very bottom end work, you have no business at the top. Learn the business... inside & out. 10 years is a good ammount of time to do this. You may not master everything, but you should ceraintly understand it. Make sure that everyone understands, you aren't an heir... but truly someone who has earned the position. Work your ass off. Congrats!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
2.0GTI said:
Best part is in 10 years i will be the CEO of the company when my dad retires. thers five employees and well be hiring a few in the next years so this is a lifetime job if i take care of it.
hate to spoil your view of the world, but there IS no 'lifetime job'. someone could bankrupt you. the market could go away. the market could crash. someone in india might undercut you, etc, etc.

the world changes very fast. you don't know what being a small business will be like in a few yrs. perhaps some walmart might move in next to you and ruin you.

maybe I'm being morose but things don't seem like they were years ago. you don't usually keep a job a long long time anymore. employers will dump you when they have the slightest reason to. the econ will dump EMPLOYERS and companies when it feels like it. someone might even sue you to the ground and ruin you.

have fun - but don't plan your whole life on it. there was a movie called 'things change'... and, they really do - when you least expect it, too.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Congratulations. The fact that your father will make you CEO of the Company is a nice thought for so-called security, but you have to remember that things are not what they seem. If you get thrown into the job because your dad retired, and you know nothing about the company and how to do the job you are going to be very surprised and unhappy person. I feel that if you work hard and prove that you are "CEO" material and make it up the "Corporate ladder" then you can be proud of your accomplishments. So, just try to learn the Company/job, so when the time comes you can stand up with your chin held high in the air and have the respect of the employees. If you dont have the respect of the employees because they are jealous that you just got thrown into the position then that will not be a pleasent sight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
11 Participants
glxpassat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing