Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im about to change my b4 passat (daily driver/winer beater) to b5 v6,
any of you v6 owners can tell me any common problems with those???
please it will help on my desigion...
thanks

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Wow. Well, the first major problem is that the newest B5's are five and a half years old, and you don't know the repair history of any of them. If my experience is at all common, you're going to dump a few thousand into repairing the car before you can call it a reliable car.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Main issues with V6:
Water pump -- Likely to seize somewhere between 60k-105k (specified change), taking out the TB. Do it at 60k along with Tb and tensioner and its not an issue.
Oil -- Many V6s consume oil. A qt or so every change is not a big deal. much more and you might wanna look at the PCV system
Head gaskets fail a bit more often on the 2.8L
And tats about all I can think of. The 2.8L is pretty bulletproof. Change it with syn every 5k, make sure oil and coolant level is good at every fillup, follow maintence and you'll have a reliable motor for a very long time.
The main issue with the V6 is the bay is much tigher than it is on the 1.8T
/Also, it weighs a lot

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. Well, the first major problem is that the newest B5's are five and a half years old, and you don't know the repair history of any of them. If my experience is at all common, you're going to dump a few thousand into repairing the car before you can call it a reliable car.
no you dont uderstand, i took a look at the car and the car is in really nice shape.
i was wondering if there is any common problems spesificaly with v6 b5s ...

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Main issues with V6:
Water pump -- Likely to seize somewhere between 60k-105k (specified change), taking out the TB. Do it at 60k along with Tb and tensioner and its not an issue.
Oil -- Many V6s consume oil. A qt or so every change is not a big deal. much more and you might wanna look at the PCV system
Head gaskets fail a bit more often on the 2.8L
And tats about all I can think of. The 2.8L is pretty bulletproof. Change it with syn every 5k, make sure oil and coolant level is good at every fillup, follow maintence and you'll have a reliable motor for a very long time.
The main issue with the V6 is the bay is much tigher than it is on the 1.8T
/Also, it weighs a lot
thats what im talking about. ill probably do the TB as soon as i get it and the rest i know
thanks man

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Oh, there are a few more items in a GLX if you look at that.
However, its good news, the fancy-ass power seats are stronger than those in the GLS, I've been told. The seem to hold up to my fat ass.
There are a few more electric goodies in the GLX like memory and dual power seats. Make sure they work.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, there are a few more items in a GLX if you look at that.
However, its good news, the fancy-ass power seats are stronger than those in the GLS, I've been told. The seem to hold up to my fat ass.
There are a few more electric goodies in the GLX like memory and dual power seats. Make sure they work.
shit i didnt even check if the seats were powered.(my b5 have no power seats)
i guess it will be the second thing on my list to swap with my 1.8t...
thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts